Chapter 41

Kenzie's POV

Maddie and Kendall are being so weird. Why are they suddenly being nice to us?

"Yeah...but I don't understand. Why are you helping us?" I ask.

"We-" Maddie starts. The door creaks open and I'm scared that we are going to be found out. Mom stands in the doorway. I shiver with fear. She's heard all of that. What's she going to do to us?

"Maddie, Kendall, Kenzie, I need a word," Mom explains. Me? And she called me Kenzie? This is really weird. I follow Mom, Maddie, and Kendall to the kitchen, where Ethan is waiting for us.

"Kenzie could you step out of the room for a minute please?" Ethan asks. I nod and go to sit on the stairs. Kalani comes out to join me.

"What do you think they want?" she whispers. I shrug, not really wanting to know. I can vaguely hear them in the kitchen and if Kalani stops talking, I could probably hear.

"Shut up, Kalani," I say. Kalani looks offended and leaves me to sit on the stairs alone. Maddie comes in and reaches my arm and I flinch.

"We need you now," Maddie says. I stand up and Maddie comes closer to me. I flinch, waiting for the impact, but it doesn't come. Instead Maddie wraps her arms around me and pulls me into a huge hug. So Maddie really is wanting to help us?

"Maddie, angel? Everything alright in there?" Mom calls.

"Yeah, we're coming," Maddie replies and leads me into the kitchen.

"Hey, Kenzie. We have some news for you sweetie," Ethan gestures towards a chair and I take a seat.

"Honey, your mother has always wanted a little girl to spoil, but she says she doesn't have one. But I pointed out the one right under her nose," Ethan explains.

"Who?" I ask.

"God, the child's clueless," Mom mutters.

"You, Kenzie," Ethan replies.

"M....me?" I stutter.

"Yes, you," Maddie confirms.

"But, you can only be the spoilt child on one condition," Mom describes.

"And that is..." I urge.

"To be on our side instead of Kalani's," Mom continues.

"What? But..." I start.

"It's either that or go back to misery. But times two because Ethan's here too now," Mom explains. I don't want to go back to that dark little space in my life, but I also don't want to hurt Kalani. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do!

"Can... can I have the night to think about it?" I ask.

"Yes, but we need your decision by tomorrow morning. But before you decide we'd like to show you something," Ethan states. Ethan leads me to a room that's always been locked and produces a key. He unlocks the door and I see my dream. A beautiful pastel blue bedroom with a king-sized canopy bed.

"W...why did you show me this?" I stutter.

"This is the kind of lifestyle you'll be living if you say yes," Ethan describes.

"Really? Ok, I'll do it!" I decide.

"Great! The room is yours, anything you'd like to do before the changes come into effect?" Ethan asks.

"Actually, I'd like to have one last word with Kalani, please," I express.

"I don't know why you'd want to speak to that brat, but go ahead, she's in the bedroom," Ethan agrees. I run into my old bedroom to see Kalani sitting on her bed.

"Hey, K," I start.

"Go away, Kenzie," she utters.

"What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" I ask.

"Yes! Duh! I was trying to talk to you and you just told me to shut up and you didn't even notice that I was hurt by that," Kalani explains.

"Well I'm sorry, K! But there's something I need to tell you," I apologize.

"No! I don't want to hear anything you have to say! Just leave me alone!" Kalani exclaims.

"If that's how you want it then fine!" I shout and leave the room.

I go to my new bedroom and sit on my bed. I really want to tell Kalani before the change, otherwise it'd be like when Kendall left me. And I still hate her for it. I don't want to do this to Kalani, but she really doesn't want to talk to me right now. The door opens and Maddie's head pokes around it.

"Mom wants to know if you're done talking to Kalani," Maddie explains.

"Yeah, I am... it's just... never mind," I stutter.

"Ok!" Maddie exclaims and leaves. But then she comes back.

"You know you can talk to me right?" Maddie asks.

"Yeah, I know," I reply.

"Ok, just making sure," she explains.

"Ok," I agree and Maddie leaves.

"Wait, Maddie," I call. Maddie comes back again.

"Yes?" She asks.

"Could you tell Kalani that I'm not going to do what Kendall did to me and I need to tell her that I'm swapping?" I question.

"Um... I could, but what would Mom say to me?" Maddie inquires.

"Mom doesn't need to know," I urge.

"Maddie? You good up there?" Mom calls from downstairs.

"I will, I promise, but not now. Mom will get suspicious if I take any longer," Maddie promises. I nod and Maddie goes downstairs to Mom. I hear a tap on my window and assume it's just a stick from the tree, but there are more taps, so I look outside and see Jorja throwing rocks at my window.