|18| (third year)

Every full moon, for the last thirteen years, I have had to stay locked in my room for my own safety. Lupin, my godfather, is a werewolf (hence the nickname Moony) and every full moon he has had to run in the woods— away from people— so he could transform. Tonight was the full moon.

"It's almost six," I said, shoveling my dinner into my mouth.

Lupin looked up at the grandfather clock to my right and sighed. From six in the evening till six in the morning, the next day, he stayed in the forest behind our house.

"Are you going to be alright?" he asked softly.

"You ask me this, every time, as if I'm not used to it," I laughed. "Of course, I'll be fine."

"You know the drill, kiddo," Lupin smiled. "Stay in your room—"

"—lock the doors, and don't open it for anyone," we chorused.

"I'm thirteen, Moony, I can take care of myself."

"Yeah, you're definitely showing me that from your time at Hogwarts—"

"Come on, I was just—"

"Being reckless... just like your father," Lupin said the last part quietly, more to himself than to me.

My heart sped up at the comment and I thought of Harry. Dumbledore told us to not mention it to anyone, so I hadn't told Lupin.

"You should— uh— get going, yeah?" I coughed, looking up from my plate.

Once he left, I finished my dinner by myself and tidied up the house as I walked along. Since Lupin and I live by ourselves, the house isn't too messy. The small sitting room only held a small couch and reclining chair; the kitchen had a two-person table and all the appliances; up the stairs was a small bathroom with a decent sized tub and, lastly, two bedrooms.

Picking up my books from the sitting room, I noticed the time: quarter past eight. The sun had set and the glowing moon was high in the sky; he was bound to be running about the woods. Through the large bay window, my eyes caught two glowing orbs hidden in the bushes across the street.

My breath caught in my throat as I noticed the quite distinct, hulking outline of something very, very big. Although in the safety of my house, I did not feel safe; the figure moved closer, the glowing orbs wide and gleaming. I took a few steps back as the shape moved into a very large wolf— but it wasn't Lupin.

The animal made no noise as it prowled closer to my house. I quickly looked at the door and saw it was locked and decided to scurry up the stairs to my room. Making a break for it, I held my books to my chest as I ran into my room.

Carefully, I pushed open the curtains to peer outside, but once I did, the animal was gone.

Helplessly, I pulled the covers over my head and said a little prayer before going to bed, hoping whatever beast was outside stayed there.

"So you couldn't let me be at Hogwarts by myself huh?" I scoffed at Lupin.

"For the last time, Maisey Rae, Dumbledore employed me for the Defense Against the Dark Arts position," Lupin defended himself.

"I'm going to go meet Hermione and Ron, I'll see you in a bit."

Running down the streets of Diagon Alley, I found Ron and Hermione coming out of Flourish and Blotts.

"Hermione! Ron!"

The redhead and the brunette both whirled around and finally noticed me. After they told me about what Harry had done over the summer— blowing up his aunt and all— we walked around Diagon Alley, looking for him; with no luck, we took a table outside of Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor.