|79| Valentine's Day

Harry did not have the same luck I had with Occlumency lessons. If anything, it weakened his mind even more; I felt it. At breakfast the next day, Harry and Ron told Hermione and me about what happened last night when Harry and I left for our dorms. I felt a light joy when I was falling asleep, but I thought I was content with shutting my mind; I was wrong. Harry had been cackling for Voldemort had been the happiest he'd ever been in the last fourteen years.

The next morning only supported our suspicions: There was a Mass Breakout at Azkaban that night and the murder of Broderick Bode, a Ministry employee who was laid up at St. Mungo's, has been killed by a Devil's Snare plant left at his bedside.

And for the last two weeks, Umbridge decided to attend every Care of Magical Creatures lesson and Divination class. A rumor started to float around the school, wondering whether Professor Trelawney or Hagrid will be fired first. And now, yesterday, Hagrid banned Harry, Ron, Hermione, and me from visiting his cabin anymore, claiming it was too dangerous with Umbridge sticking her now everywhere.

Then Occlumency lessons didn't work for Harry, only making his mind weaker, giving Ron the idea that Snape is trying to weaken his mind despite the fact that Occlumency had worked for me as I rarely had surges of Voldemort's emotions. But between Occlumency lessons, D.A. Meetings, and Quidditch practices, I was beyond exhausted. The only thing I was looking forward to was the date I had planned with Fred.

A week before Valentine's day, Fred finally took advantage of the date he wanted us to have. During our next Hogsmeade trip, on Valentine's day, we would have our date. Not only did he take that advantage, but he and George also used the holiday to sell love potions disguised as juices and candies.

"Fred, George, that's illegal," I warned. "You're going to get expelled!"

But the love potions were selling quicker than expected, they didn't care.

"Poor things," George said sarcastically as a Ravenclaw boy scurried out of sight with two love drinks.

"There's only one left," Fred smirked. "Want it Mousey?"

"Why would I need it?" I laughed and uncorked it, trying to smell it. It smelled so good. "What do you two smell?"

"When we were making it, Fred kept smelling—" George stopped talking as Fred had elbowed him harshly and said, "I smell Pumpkin pastries, burning fireworks, and grass."

"Well," I smiled softly, "I smell toffee, chocolate frogs, and..."

My heart soared, I couldn't tell them that. They'd never leave me alone.

"...the smell of the Burrow's gardens."

"Our garden?" George laughed.

"My favorite place," I smiled sheepishly.

On the morning of the fourteenth, I put my hair in a side plait making sure I looked nicer than usual. Despite there being Quidditch practice, Angelina said I didn't have to show because I've 'excelled faster than the Snitch' which is Quidditch talk for I'm almost as good as Harry now.

During breakfast, Hermione told Harry and me that we need to go to Three Broomsticks, for lunch, for a meeting she's set up. All very vague. Walking with Harry, out of the Great Hall, we went to the front of the Hogwarts entrance to stand with the other pairs going on their Hogsmeade dates. Harry quickly met Cho's eyes and almost tripped over his feet. Without saying goodbye, he walked over to Cho and embraced her.

Looking around, I found Fred and ran up to him with a large smile.

"Boo!" I said.

He turned around and matched my smile.