|106| Outbursts

The news that Ron had been poisoned spread quickly the next day, but it did not cause the sensation that Katie's attack had done. People seemed to think that it might have been an accident, given that he had been in the Potions master's room at the time, and that as he had been given an antidote immediately there was no real harm done. In fact, the Gryffindors were generally much more interested in the upcoming Quidditch match against Hufflepuff, for many of us wanted to see Zacharias Smith, who played Chaser on the Hufflepuff team, punished soundly for his commentary during the opening match against Slytherin.

On the morning of the Quidditch match against Hufflepuff, Harry and I dropped in on the hospital wing before heading down to the pitch. Ron was very agitated; Madam Pomfrey would not let him go down to watch the match, feeling it would overexcite him.

"So how's McLaggen shaping up?" Ron asked Harry.

I groaned before Harry could respond, "he's so annoying! Remind me to never be mad at you while playing, okay?"

Harry shook his head, laughing at me, "Maisey's not wrong. But I'm telling you, he could be world-class and I wouldn't want to keep him. He keeps trying to tell everyone what to do, he thinks he could play every position better than the rest of us. I can't wait to be shot of him."

"Is Hermione coming to look in before the match?" Ron asked casually.

"No, she's already gone down to the pitch with Ginny," I said.

"Oh," said Ron, looking rather glum. "Right. Well, good luck. Hope you hammer McLag— I mean, Smith."

"I'll try," said Harry, shouldering his broom. "See you after the match."

Harry and I both stood up with our brooms and hurried down the deserted corridors; the whole school was outside, either already seated in the stadium or heading down toward it. Harry had been looking out the window when I stopped in my tracks. He looked up at me and then to where I was looking and his jaw dropped.

Malfoy was walking toward us, accompanied by two girls, both of whom looked sulky and resentful. Malfoy stopped short at the sight of us, then gave a short, humorless laugh and continued walking.

"Where're you going?" Harry demanded.

"Yeah, I'm really going to tell you, because it's your business, Potter," sneered Malfoy. "You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for 'the Chosen Captain' — 'the Boy Who Scored' — whatever they call you these days."

One of the girls gave an unwilling giggle. I stared at her. She blushed. Malfoy pushed past us and she and her friend followed at a trot, turning the corner and vanishing from view.

Harry and I stood rooted on the spot and watched them disappear. This was infuriating; we were already cutting it fine to get to the match on time and yet there was Malfoy, skulking off while the rest of the school was absent.

"Harry, we've got to go!" I shouted and grabbed his arm, dragging him away from Malfoy.

"Where have you two been?" demanded Ginny, as we sprinted into the changing rooms. The whole team was changed and ready; Coote and Peakes, the Beaters, were both hitting their clubs nervously against their legs.

"We met Malfoy," I told her quietly, as I pulled my scarlet robes over my head.

"So?"

"You know how Harry is, he wanted to know how come he's up at the castle with a couple of girlfriends while everyone else is down here..."

"Does it matter right now?"

"Well, I'm not likely to find out, am I?" said Harry, shouting over me. "Come on then!"