|78| Occlumency

As fast as the Holiday started, it ended. It was the last day of our break, I spent it running around the house looking for my things and getting my trunk ready to go back to Hogwarts tomorrow. Halfway through my little break, with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, in my room, a soft knock sounded at the door.

"Harry, Maisey," said Mrs. Weasley, poking her head into the bedroom, where Harry and Ron were playing wizard chess as Hermione, Ginny, and I watched, "could you come down to the kitchen? Professor Snape would like a word with you both."

Harry's and my mouth fell open in horror. I looked around at Ron, Hermione, and Ginny as we were gaping back at us.

"Snape?" said Harry blankly.

"Professor Snape, dear," said Mrs. Weasley reprovingly. "Now come on, quickly, he says he can't stay long."

"What's he want with you?" said Ron, looking unnerved as Mrs. Weasley withdrew from the room. "You haven't done anything, have you?"

"No!" Harry and I said indignantly.

Going down the stairs, Harry pushed the kitchen door to find Sirius and Snape seated at the long kitchen table, glaring in opposite directions. The silence between them was heavy with mutual dislike. A letter lay open on the table in front of Sirius.

"Hello?" I cleared my throat to announce our presence.

Snape looked around at us, his face framed between curtains of greasy black hair.

"Sit down, Potters."

"You know," said Sirius loudly, leaning back on his rear chair legs and speaking to the ceiling, "I think I'd prefer it if you didn't give orders here, Snape. It's my house, you see."

An ugly flush suffused Snape's pallid face. Harry and I sat down in the chairs on either side of Sirius, facing Snape across the table.

"I was supposed to see you both alone," said Snape, the familiar sneer curling his mouth, "but Black—"

"I'm their godfather," said Sirius, louder than ever.

"I am here on Dumbledore's orders," said Snape, whose voice, by contrast, was becoming more and more quietly waspish, "but by all means stay, Black, I know you like to feel... involved."

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Sirius, letting his chair fall back onto all four legs with a loud bang.

"Merely that I am sure you must feel— ah— frustrated by the fact that you can do nothing useful," Snape laid a delicate stress on the word, "for the Order."

It was Sirius's turn to flush. Snape's lip curled in triumph as he turned to Harry first.

"The headmaster has sent me to tell you, Potter, that it is his wish for you to study Occlumency this term."

"Occulumecy?" I repeated.

"Yes, both of you," Snape sneered. "You do know what that is, do you?"

"Yes," I said as Harry said, "No."

"Occlumency, Potter. The magical defense of the mind against external penetration. An obscure branch of magic, but a highly useful one."

"Why do I have to study Occlu— thing?" he blurted out.

"Because the headmaster thinks it a good idea," said Snape smoothly. "You will receive private lessons once a week, but you will not tell anybody what you are doing, least of all Dolores Umbridge. You understand?"

"Yes," said Harry.

"Who's going to be teaching us?" I asked.

Snape raised an eyebrow.