|154| Legacies

Despite the fact that Fred was so adamant on Apparating to King's Cross, I scolded him how Side-Apparation with children was dangerous!

"Mai, you're so boring," Fred whined.

"Hush up! You're worse than Teddy," I laughed.

Although Teddy already finished his schooling last year, he was accompanying us to King's Cross to meet my nieces and nephews for their journey to Hogwarts and take our own children there was well.

Looking down at my checklist, I checked off the last two empty boxes and smiled at myself.

"Reggie, let's go! You're going to be late!" I yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming!" he shouted and I heard thumping coming from down the stairs— his trunk. "I'm so excited! I finally get to go to Hogwarts."

"Make sure you don't get eaten by the monsters in the Shrieking Shack," teased Aurora from behind me.

"Don't lie," I narrowed my eyes at her. "The Shrieking Shack isn't haunted!"

"You're no fun, Mum," Aurora sighed.

"You take after your father too much."

"There's nothing wrong with that!" Fred kissed the top of my head.

Once Aurora and Reggie were standing in front of me, I gave them a soft smile. The two loves stood in front of me, my youngest finally going off to Hogwarts.

"Maisey, are you going to stand there, or are we leaving?" Teddy asked.

I snapped out of my little daze and narrowed my eyes at Teddy, "oh hush up. I was just enjoying my babies—"

"I'm not a baby, Mum! I'm nearly fourteen," Aurora said.

"Well, when I was fourteen I was thrown into the Triwizard Tournament, I felt very much like a baby," I sighed.

"Maisey Rae—"

"Hush, Fred," I laughed. "Now," I addressed the kids, "remember what I've said: Stay safe—"

"—'Always keep my head on straight', 'don't talk back'—"

"—'And most importantly, have fun'," Reggie finished.

"Ahh, my smart babies," I smiled. "Alright, let's go!"

Stuffing my wand into my long sleeves, Fred and I drove to King's Cross with Aurora and Reggie (Teddy Apparated to the Platform) where the secret train to Hogwarts was at.

"Are you sure we're in the right place?" Reggie said, softly, looking around at all the muggles in funny clothes and with small trunks.

"You know, I asked the same thing my first time here," I laughed. "But yes, we are. Trust your mother, I'd know."

Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first of September was crisp and golden as an apple, and as the little family bobbed across the rumbling road toward the great sooty station, the fumes of car exhausts and the breath of pedestrians sparkled like cobwebs in the cold air. Parents all around us helped their children with their carts filled with cages, books, and a large trunk.

Once the coast was clear, Fred ushered Aurora through the platform and they disappeared. Reggie gripped his trolley with white knuckles and ran at the platform, vanishing in an instant. Looking around, I walked through the barrier and was welcomed with the whistle of the Hogwarts Express. Fred, Aurora, and Reggie were all waiting for me at the entrance. Indistinct figures were swarming through the mist as she looked around for faces I hadn't seen in a while.