|72| Quidditch

I felt as though I were carrying some kind of talisman inside my chest over the following two weeks, a glowing secret that supported me through Umbridge's classes and even made it possible for me to smile blandly as I looked into her horrible bulging eyes. The D.A. and I were resisting her under her very nose, doing the very thing that she and the Ministry most feared, and whenever we were supposed to be reading Wilbert Slinkhard's book during her lessons I dwelled instead on satisfying memories of our most recent meetings, remembering how Neville had successfully disarmed Hermione, how Colin Creevey had mastered the Impediment Jinx after three meetings' hard effort, how Parvati Patil had produced such a good Reductor Curse that she had reduced the table carrying all the Sneakoscopes to dust.

Organizing the meetings became harder because Harry had Quidditch along with some of the other members, but Hermione devised a very clever method of communicating the time and date of the next meeting. She gave each of the members of the D.A. a fake Galleon with numerals around the edge of the coin displaying the time and date of the next meeting. The coins grew hot when the date changes, so if they're carrying them in their pocket they'll be able to feel them; they mimic the numbers on my or Harry's coin.

As the first Quidditch match of the season, Gryffindor versus Slytherin, drew nearer, the D.A. meetings were put on hold because Angelina insisted on almost daily practices. The fact that the Quidditch Cup had not been held for so long added considerably to the interest and excitement surrounding the forthcoming game. The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were taking a lively interest in the outcome, for they, of course, would be playing both teams over the coming year; and the Heads of House of the competing teams, though they attempted to disguise it under a decent pretense of sportsmanship, were determined to see their side's victory.

The only thing really worrying me was how much Ron was allowing the tactics of the Slytherin team to upset him before they even got onto the pitch. He had never endured a relentless campaign of insults, jeers, and intimidation. When Slytherins muttered as we passed in the corridors, "Got your bed booked in the hospital wing, Weasley?" he did not laugh, but he turned a delicate shade of green. When Draco Malfoy imitated Ron dropping the Quaffle, Ron's ears glowed red and his hands shook so badly that he was likely to drop whatever he was holding at the time too.

The morning of the match dawned bright and cold, but I was beyond excited for the first match of the season; my two very best friends were playing. At breakfast, Hermione, Ginny, and I sat down opposite Harry and Ron wearing red-and-gold scarves, gloves, and rosettes.

"How're you feeling?" Ginny asked Ron, who was now staring into the dregs of milk at the bottom of his empty cereal bowl as though seriously considering attempting to drown himself in them.

"He's just nervous," said Harry.

"Well, that's a good sign, I never feel you perform as well in exams if you're not a bit nervous," I said heartily.

"Hello," said a vague and dreamy voice from behind us. I looked up: Luna Lovegood had drifted over from the Ravenclaw table. Many people were staring at her and a few openly laughing and pointing; she had managed to procure a hat shaped like a life-size lion's head, which was perched precariously on her head.

"I'm supporting Gryffindor," said Luna, pointing unnecessarily at her hat. "Look what it does—"

She reached up and tapped the hat with her wand. It opened its mouth wide and gave an extremely realistic roar that made everyone in the vicinity jump.

"It's good, isn't it?" said Luna happily. "I wanted to have it chewing up a serpent to represent Slytherin, you know, but there wasn't time. Anyway, good luck, Ronald!"

It became clear after ten minutes, however, that Ron was not capable of eating anything more and Harry thought it best to get him down to the changing rooms. As they rose from the table, Hermione and I got up too, and taking Harry's arm, I drew him to one side.