4.3

In the large crowd of people, there was a tall blonde male with bright blue eyes. I closed my eyes, not believing what I was seeing. When I opened them, there was just the crowd again. I could've sworn I saw him, but my eyes were playing tricks on me once again. This heartbreak was getting to me. I was going crazy without him. I shook my head in disbelief and headed onto the plane, and I didn't look back again.

...

I was seated by a window, next to an older woman. Take off was easy, I've never had a fear of planes. The clouds were alight carpet in the sky, and I could see the sun setting. It was peaceful, it reminded me of the boat. How I wished I could feel the wind on my face.

"Are you alright, dear?" The woman next to me asked.

"Hm?" I turned towards her, not hearing her question. I was too wrapped up in my own thoughts.

"I asked if you were alright," She softly asked while returning back to her knitting.

"Oh, I'm okay," I sighed. She just nodded.

"I'm Alice," She offered, not looking up.

"Charlie" I smiled at her, old ladies were adorable.

"You look -- lost," Alice pointed out.

"To be honest, I am," My gaze returned to the clouds.

"Where are you headed?"

"Home," I smiled, thinking of the family I had missed dearly. Then I thought of the family I left behind. I hadn't told anyone where I was going, I just left. They were all probably worried sick, I didn't even think about telling them where I was going before I left.

"That's not what I meant," She stopped and looked at me. I was about to answer when I realized she didn't want an answer. Where was I going? Physically I was heading home, but mentally, I-- well I didn't know. "Thank you," I said under my breath. All I was given was a subtle nod.

...

The rest of the plane ride went quickly, and the uber ride dropped me at the bottom of my driveway. We lived in the middle of the country, my parents wanted us to be surrounded by nature. I was glad for the isolation now, city life was too busy at points. I walked up the long driveway to the front door. I raised my fist to knock on the door but I hesitated. I hadn't told them I was coming home, would they be mad? Three soft knocks. The door swung open to my surprised brother.

"Charlie?" He stuttered.

"Hey Duke," I smiled as he barrelled me into a hug. He was taller than me now, he had just finished his junior year of high school. "I missed you too," I laughed as he enveloped me in a large hug.

"Duke? What are you--" My mother's voice stopped as she saw me.

"Charlie!" She squealed and joined in on our hug. "You didn't tell us you were coming home yet!"

"I thought I would surprise you," I lied quickly.

"Well you definitely did, where are your bags?" My mother asked, ushering me into the house.

"Didn't bring any," I shrugged, hoping she wouldn't think too much of it.

"Alright, I just packed up dinner but I can go heat some up for you,"

"Thanks, mom," I laughed at how excited she was to feed me again. I turned to Duke who was sitting on the stairs behind me.

"How was junior year?" I joked, knowing how much he hated it because it was all he talked about when we facetimed.

"Awful, I'm glad it's over," Duke groaned. "Also, thanks,"

"For what?" My eyebrows cocked in confusion.

"I'm getting hella girls because you're in outer banks," Duke had a shit-eating grin on his face.

"No problem," I rolled my eyes and laughed. "So no girlfriend then?"

"Nobody can tie me down," He stretched and pretended to yawn. This boy was ridiculous.

"Hey Squirt," I turned around to see my dad with a large grin on his face.

"Dad," I smiled and ran into his open arms.

"Ugh I miss your hugs," He sighed in my hair and held me tighter.

"I miss your hugs too," His familiar cologne drifted into my nostrils.

"Always a Dad's girl," My mom laughed while carrying a plate of hot food. I pulled myself from my Dad's hug and ran to the table.

"Thank Mama," I blew her a kiss and began to dig in. The rest of the family joined me at the table. Our conversations continued like they always did. Jokes and sarcasm were all flung at each other. Soon enough my plate was empty and we were all talking at the table.

"I'll go wash that for you," My mom offered.

"Mom, I can--" I began to stand.

"No, sit down, I miss being your mom," She smiled and disappeared into the kitchen.

"So Charlie, I don't have a girlfriend, but I've seen articles that suggest you have a boyfriend," Duke wiggled his eyebrows. My smile disappeared for an instant.

"No boyfriend for me," I put a smile on quick and laughed awkwardly. My Dad eyed me, but Duke just high fived me.

"Alright we should get some sleep it's almost 11!" My mother said coming back from the kitchen. Duke groaned and rolled his eyes.

"But Charlie is home," Duke whined.

"And she'll be here tomorrow, right?" Mom looked at me quickly.

"I'm here for a while," I confirmed.

"Oh good! And see Duke? We can talk tomorrow, plus Charlie is tired," My mom explained, as I pretended to yawn. Duke began to 'itch' his head with his middle finger. I wiped my eyes with my middle finger. We used to do this all the time when I was younger.

"Well, I'm glad you two haven't grown up at all," My Dad chuckled.

"Gosh, you two, to bed, now." My mother pointed to the stairs.

"Race ya," Duke called, sprinting out of his car.

"That's not fair," I scrambled out of my chair, leaving chuckling parents behind us. I ran up the stairs and walked into my childhood bedroom. The room was painted white, with tons of pictures of different boards full of dreams, hopes, old ticket stubs, pictures with friends, audition applications, every single memory. I walked over to Duke's room to say goodnight quickly before I went to bed.

"Hey Duke--" I started, only to find him snoring loudly on his bed phone still in his hand. Dumbass, I thought to myself and put his phone on the charger. I closed his door quietly and headed back into my room and pulled on my old pajamas. Drew's shirts and sweatshirts used to be my pajamas. The event caught up to me once again and I felt silent tears begin to slip out.

"Squirt?" My dad pondered softly, accompanied by a knock before walking in. I quickly wiped my tears.

"What's up?" I asked, trying to put a smile on.

"What's wrong?" He scooched on my bed beside me.

"Nothing, I'm home," I laughed unconvincingly.

"Honey, it's okay to not be okay," As soon as my dad said those words I began to sob. He wrapped his arm around me and I sank into his chest. All these emotions have been pent up and I haven't just stopped to cry. It was tears of anger, sadness, confusion, everything. I curled myself into a ball and just laid in my father's lap as he just stroked my hair. Through my tears, I started from the beginning. How Drew and I started, then every detail about the night, leaving my phone, getting a flight home, everything. I just talked and cried, until I eventually fell asleep. 

...

charlie is finally home!  wonder what's gonna happen next...