Chapter 3: Café Reunion

After teleporting back to my dorm room, I finally decided to go to bed. I crawled into my little fort made up of pillows and blankets and lied down. I couldn't sleep. I kept getting anxious, I kept getting worried if Hawks would keep the secret or not. After a few hours of playing around with my quirks, I got bored and got up. 

I got dressed and decided to fly to a nearby café. When I got there I retracted my big, raven black wings and walked in. Waltzing into the café and sitting down in a booth, I finally ordered after 5 minutes of thinking.

"What can I get you?" A waitress asked.

"Could I get a coffee, please?"

"Of course! Anything else?"

"No, thank you."

"Okay, what blend would you like?"

"I'll take a French Roast, cream and sugar, please."

"Ooh~ you like the strong type, huh? Don't you think you should be getting something not so strong? You're a little kid."

"Miss, with all due respect, I'm 17 years old, stressed, have a lot of things on my mind, and I go to UA, I don't get sleep. I just need a break from reality for a bit. I need a little taste of paradise."

"I see, well, I'll have that coffee out in just a bit. Sit tight."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"Of course!"

'Maybe tomorrow I can practice training with my weapons. It's been a while since I've practiced with my scythe. Or with any of my weapons lately to be honest. It's been a while since I've practiced with anybody, I'll ask if I can train with Adi or something.'

"Here you are!" The kind waitress exclaimed.

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"That will be 300 Yen, please."

"Okay, then," I replied respectfully.

Taking out my wallet and looking through it, handing her the amount owed.

As the waitress walked off with a little pep in her step, I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Ahem," Hawks cleared his throat. "I didn't expect you to be here at three in the morning."

"If it isn't the life-sized McDonalds Happy Meal. Last time I checked, I didn't order any burnt chicken nuggets, can I get a refund?"

"Oof, so hurtful. How can you be so unfeeling, nugget?" Hawks smirked as he held his hand to his chest as if he had been shot.

"Years of practice," I smirked back.

"Can I buy you anything?"

"No, I just needed to take my mind off of things and have some coffee."

"I usually come here often," Hawks casually commented, sitting across from me.

"I have to admit, this café is like my second home. I came here every night after sneaking out," I mumbled with a sad look in my eyes, cupping the cup of coffee with my hands.

"You okay?" Hawks spoke inquisitively.

"Why would you care?" I shot.

"Because it's my job."

"Of course, it's 'your job' to care," I grumbled.

"No, I didn't mean it like that. What happened to you to make you act this way?"

"Wouldn't you like to know, feather boy?" I slightly chuckled at my own insult while sipping on my coffee.

"Heh, but in all seriousness. What happened? Are you naturally this way?"

"I don't wanna talk about it."

"You can tell me anything, please?"

"My past is a story for another time. When I feel that you will understand then I will share my past."

"Please, I wanna know more about you. I wanna get to know you."

"How can I trust you when I just met you? Also, this is not the right time nor place."

"I-"

"Choose your next words carefully, Hawks."

"When and where would be a good timing to discuss this?"

'He's persistent, I'll give him that.'

"Anywhere but here, or in public in general. They'll find me again, and I won't survive this time if they do. They're always listening," I looked up at him with a serious, somewhat worried look.

"Okay then, just let me know when you're ready."

"Okay, then. Want some coffee?"

"Sure. You know, you didn't insult me for a bit. You okay? You feeling all right?" Hawks smirked as he placed the back of his hand against my forehead.

"Don't get me started. I'm trying my hardest to be nice. Usually Adi keeps me from trouble. I usually find trouble, or trouble finds me."

"Uh oh, looks like ima have to keep an eye on you. And who's Adi?

"Haha very funny, feather boy. Adi is my best friend since 8th grade."

"Oh, cool! And I think I'd take pleasure in looking out for you. You're so beautiful it's hard to believe."

"Hahahahahah! You're very funny!" I actually laughed a real laugh at his attempt to flirt with me yet again.

"I'm serious. You're beautiful, I don't know why or how a boy hasn't asked to be your boyfriend yet!"

"They do, but I reject them. If I was looking for a boyfriend I would want a man, not a boy. And I wouldn't want a man-child like you."

"Damn, nugget. Really hurting me now," Hawks stuck out his lower lip and pretended to pout.

"It's getting early. I better go before Adi wakes up and worries."

"Wait, before you go, I have a question."

"Hm?"

"What are you gonna bribe me with to keep your little secret?"

"Which one? I have many, be specific."

"The one from the rooftop."

"Ohh~, that secret. Um, sorry to say, I'm not gonna bribe you."

"Then how do you know I'm not gonna spill it?"

"I don't, that's the fun of it."

"Huh?"

"You can't trust people either way. I would just be delaying the inevitable by bribing you to keep a secret."

"Interesting theory."

"Thanks, catch ya later, feather boy," I shot.

"See ya, nugget," Hawks shot back.

"Don't, just don't. You're too cringe to even listen to."

"Haha, whatever you say, angel."

"Shut up, Walmart KFC. And if you tell anyone, I'll put you six feet under."

"No promises, cutie."

"This is why I stay inside," I muttered.

And without another word I was marching out of the café and heading towards the dorms. I pulled my hoodie on and started to play around with my quirks a bit. I swirled my fingers around a bit and made a small, glowing star shape from the shadows. Reaching the girls dormitory, I took out my key and started climbing up the stairs. When I got inside my dorm, I changed once again and finally went to sleep.