Chapter 1: Highway To. . .

*this book is narrated by the main character, Kylie Eaton. This book is only in her perspective*

"Mom? Do we have to go to Massachusetts?" No. Please say no. Change your mind. Take all the boxes and put them in the house. Please. 

"Kylie, you know this will be great for us. Just because we're moving to Massachusetts doesn't mean we're leaving Dad behind. We have to make new memories, hun." Mom. That wasn't the answer I was looking for. I don't want to go. 

"Seriously, mom. I would've made amazing memories here on top of the ones I already made," I whined. I don't think moving to Massachusetts after your father has recently died is the most proper thing to do. 

My Dad wasn't in the army. My Dad wasn't a security guard. My Dad wasn't a firefighter; no, my dad worked in a chemical plant. Some chemicals leaked, and the part where my Dad was working blew up. Many people lost their lives that day, and I'll never forget having a bunch of my friends call me, crying about how their father died, too. 

I didn't cry when I first saw it on the news. I was pouring myself a glass of orange juice, I believe, when my mom called me from work. Apparently, she saw it on the news on her break and realized my Dad was working where it had exploded. After my mom told me the news, I dropped the glass and the phone and immediately fell to the floor. No tears. Just thoughts; I was a very vivid thinker. I don't know how I felt, really. There was just a small *ping* inside of me that realized my Daddy was gone, and he was never coming back. 

We lived in a small town in Wyoming. The chemical plant was the only one for miles. My Dad had worked there for many, many years; since I was born, I believe. If you lived in the small town in Wyoming just as I did, chances were one of your parents worked there. I don't even know why. Maybe it was just the "fad' job, the one everyone must have. But the job did pay good money, and not many thought it would be potentially life threatning. Until it was too late, I guess. 

"Grab Nirvana from her crate, will ya? We have to make room for her in the backseat. I'm going to go inside to make sure we have everything. Wouldn't want to forget anything. now would we?" My mom is seriously convinced this move will be great for me. Well, it's not. She walked inside and shut the door behind her. I sighed. 

"Nirvana, come here, girl. Wanna treat?" I coaxed my dog into getting into her crate so she could be placed in the car. Nirvana is a dog I bought 2 years ago. She's a Great Dane, and I guess when I bought her I wasn't aware of how large she would get by the time she was 1. She walked into the crate without hesitation, and I scoffed. 

"So what? Mom's got you convinced this move will be great, too?" I locked her crate and put it in the backseat of our Prius. Not ideal for moving to a different state, I thought. We were packing the rest of our things into our car. The moving truck picked up all of our furniture and a few boxes yesterday, so we were just taking a few boxes full of picture frames and such. 

My mom comes out of our house with a box. I don't know what is in that box, since it's not labeled. I don't remember forgetting anything, so I figured that my mom had that box in her room, so I shrugged off my curiosity. I pack the rest of the boxes in our trunk, and take my phone out of my pocket, something I hadn't done in all day. Five texts and two missed calls - 3 texts from my best friend Zane and a missed call, a text from my friend Arabella, and a text and a missed call from my friend Shane. Those were the people I mainly hung out with, but that's going to have to change. Hopefully for he better, but honestly, I doubt it. 

dont leavvee! we used to have soo much fun. please ky dont leave :(  I love Zane. He has been my best friend since second grade. Leaving him certainly feels as if I am leaving a piece of me, a huge piece of me, behind. It doesn't seem right. 

i will miss you so much omg, why do you have to leave, kylie ! ! ! Arabella was one of the first friends I had ever made. We were friends in preschool and up. Reason why we aren't best friends is because someone already beat me to it when we were playing with those fake kitchen sets. Anyway, she's a really good friend of mine and I honestly wish she could come with me. 

"Kylie, come on. Get in the car, we're ready to hit the road," my mom said. I rolled my eyes and made sure my headphones were safely in pocket. I shut the trunk and got in the front seat. It kind of is sweet that my mom and I have the same opinions on music. We like pretty much anything deep, hardcore, and loud. Alternative rock, metalcore, screamo, hard rock, grunge, indie, anything. We don't have to fight for the radio, which is a good thing. She got in the car, turned on the engine, and took a deep breath. She looked at me and smiled, so I had to smile back. 

"Let's get this show on the road, shall we?" I nodded and put some Panic! At The Disco on the radio and closed my eyes.

Highway to change, I guess.