Chapter 3: On The News.

We drove for so long. 

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. 

"Mom, I want you to stop at the nearest gas station, I don't care where, so I could get a damn coffee. I have been up for a very long time. I have no sleep in my system, so if you do not stop at a gas station, I will personally walk there myself after removing me from this small and conjested vehicle!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. Honestly, it felt good - all my emotions were bottling up inside of me, and yelling about needing coffee in my system actually made me feel better. 

My mother actually had the nerve to chuckle. I dont know why; she usually understands my need for caffiene. She agreed to stopping as soon as she saw one.

After what seemed like forever, we saw a gas station. Better yet, a gas station with a Tim Horton's inside. 

"Frick yeah," I said, and went to unbuckle my seatbelt. I was eager to grab the door handle and bolt for the entrance, but my mom stopped me.

"Whoa, chill, man. You need some money." I frowned and turned to my mother. 

"Credit or cash?" I asked, annoyance clearly hinted. She handed me $20, and as soon as it was in my hand, I made a beeline to the door. It must've been a new gas station. All of the pillars and the convienience store looked brand new. At this point, I was only concerned about my latte. 

I walked in, and went to the back of the store where the Tim Horton's was located. There was a plump, cheerful woman at the cash register. The menu was right behind her, so I walked up and ordered. 

"Hi, I would like to order your Espresso latte, sugar added, and one black coffee with nothing added," I said, and handed the woman my twenty. I glanced at her name tag, and her name was Sherri. 

"Of course, honey! Would that be all?" she asked, and I nodded my head. She gave me my change and told me my latte and my black coffee would be up any moment. 

"While you wait, would you like to sign up for a Tim Card? You have some money left over, so it won't cost much." She smiled and took out a few cards. I hesitated, since I usually didn't do this sort of thing without my Mom, even if it was just Tim Card. I decided it was okay, and I agreed to sign up.

"Okay, sweetie. I just need some basic information, and then you'll be all set." After I was done filling out everything, she gave me my coffee, my change, and my Tim Card, which she put in a little sleeve thing. 

"Thank you sweetheart, and enjoy your day! Don't worry, everything will be okay. I promise," the lady smiled and waved. I was confused, and a little scared. The way she said it sounded like she knew something I didn't, or knew something I did but I didn't know what she was talking about. I walked to the car, and got in the passenger side. I had a puzzled and worried look on my face.

My mom noticed.

"Kylie? Are you alright?" she asked, worry in her tone. I shook my head. 

"That lady. . . she said everything will be okay, and for me to not worry. I have not a clue what she was talking about." I shook my head and gave my mom her coffee. 

"Well, maybe she says that to all of her customers to give them a reassuring feeling, since anyone could be going through anything," my mom said. "But yes, that is quite strange. Anyway, drink your coffee and let's hit the road." I set my mom's coffee beside her in her cup holder, and sat there as she began driving. 

"Oh, I signed up for a Tim's card. You know, since we go through coffee so much. I figured, why not? I needed to kill some time too," I said, and took out my Tim Card. When I took it out of the sleeve, a few dollar bills slipped out - $50 and $20. The last thing that fell out of the sleeve was a small, folded up piece of paper. 

"What's that? And oh my, $70? Who gave you that?" my mom asked. I took the small piece of paper, and opened it. 

There was a note.

Dear sugar, 

I slipped $70 dollars in your card sleeve. I saw you on the news a few weeks ago, and saw your father died in a explosion. Im terribly sorry, and I felt this was the least I could do. Please forgive me for taking up any of your time, and I do hope you enjoyed your coffees. It will be okay, I promise. 

Sincerely, Sherri :)