Chapter One.

AALIYAH SIONE

I woke up to another chilly day in November. I lifted up from my bed and looked outside of my window at the seemingly ghetto area that I lived in. The neighborhood that I stayed in didn't really have a specific name to it, so I always told people that I was from Edna street if they asked. Mostly everyone knew not to bother to ask though; I was affiliated with one of the most notorious gangs on the west coast of the United States. Edna street, and every area surrounding it was strictly LM territory.

I looked over at the small clock on my nightstand and saw that it was a quater to nine in the morning. Frustration entered my mind once I realized that I would be late to school once again—class started at nine and there was no way that I would be able to get ready on time. Just getting to school from my apartment took twenty minutes.

I rushed into the bathroom and began getting ready for the day ahead of me. After completing my daily routine, (consisting of the usual basic hygiene,) I dressed into a fresh outfit and made sure that my hair was presentable. It was usually extremely curly, and usually so tangled that I would throw it up in a bun just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. The night before my best friend, Dalilah straightened it for me, but of course it could never stay as silky as it was when it was first done.

I threw my shoes on and put my cell phone into my pocket, then left my bedroom. Rushing down the steps of my apartment, I tried not to trip over my untied shoe strings. When I finally reached the bottom step, I noticed a small note lying on the coffee table. I picked it up and saw that it was a note from my mom telling me she would be home soon from her second job. I threw the note back on the table and picked my skateboard up from off of the floor. Whenever my mom wasn't home, it didn't phase me. She was always working, and I was always home alone.

I walked out of the apartment, immediately feeling the cold air slap on my face. I rushed down the steps, throwing my skateboard on the ground. I looked around to see if anyone was around, but the neighborhood was pretty empty. That was only because it was a weekday, and nobody really came out in the morning around here anyway. You would see everyone out in the evening and night time, especially on the weekends. I hopped on my skateboard, and began to make my way to El Sereno Middle School. I was in my eighth grade year, and I was glad that I was going to high school next year. As I was skating, I felt my phone vibrate inside of my pocket. I pulled it out, seeing it was my best friend Dalilah.

"Hello?" I answered. I could hear her breathing over the phone. In the background it seemed like a million people were talking at once.

"Aaliyah, where are you? The bell is going to ring in about five minutes." She said.

"I just left the house, I'll be there soon."

"Well, hurry up." She scoffed before hanging up.

I shook my head and shoved my phone back into my pocket. I continued skating, praying in my head that I wouldn't get detention. I don't know how it happened, but I always ended up late for school. It was quite annoying since I woke up earlier than my friends did, and I still never made it on time.

Once I arrived to school a while later, I rushed inside of the building and noticed that the usual crowded halls were completely empty. I sucked my teeth and walked down the hall to my locker, opening it and throwing my skateboard inside. I grabbed my Spanish book for first period and then closed the locker door. When I turned around, to my surprise, Daniel Rodriguez was standing in front of me.

Daniel was one of the most popular boys in school, and in the streets of El Sereno. That was only because his older brother, Carlos, was the leader of the LM. He was also extremely attractive, and he was cool with everyone. Luckily for me, he was my best friend so we hung out all of the time. I had the biggest crush on him since we were little.