~{Chapter 1}~

Zak

I swung my bat once more, knocking the zombie to the ground. I sighed, standing upright. I looked to the sky. The sun was rising. Took long enough.

It was dangerous at night, monsters roamed. So far I've only encountered zombies and abnormally large spiders. Who knows if theres worse.

I was out in the open, not a good place to be. I grabbed a potato from my bag. Eating it, I looked around. In the distance I saw a small town. Maybe theres food there. I was running low.

I arrived at the town and walked around, looking for anything that wasnt completely wrecked. Most of the houses and buildings were just rubble, small pieces still standing. There was a store that was still mostly intact though.

I walked inside. It was dark since the lights obviously dont work. I grabbed some bread that didnt look to moldy.

I froze when I heard footsteps. Someone else is in here. I hadn't been in contact with another person in a while. And what if they're here to hurt me?

I walked slowly, to not make any noise. It was a tall male. He was looking at some canned food. I decided to take a risk and say something.

"Hello?"

He jumped and turned to me. He grabbed something that looked like a sword from his side.

I put my hands up, "Please dont hurt me!"

I saw him relax, "I thought you were going to hurt me." He had a french accent.

"S-Sorry, I haven't talked to anyone in a while."

"Let's go outside where we can see," The man turned and walked towards the light.

Once we were outside I got a better look at him. He had brown hair and a short beard.

"So, you're alone?" He asked.

I nodded, "Your the first person I've talked to in well..a long time."

He hummed. "I'm Vincent."

"Zak," I said.

"Well Zak, do you want to stay with me?"

"Sure," I said, glad to not be alone anymore.

"Follow me then," Vincent started walking.

~~~

We stood outside a building. It was so loud you could hear the people from outside. And there was music.

"Theres still electricity?" I asked.

"In some places, yes," He responded.

"I didnt know there were so many people around here."

"Yeah, people meet up here a lot," Vincent said, "But it's not the safest place either, fights happen all the time."

"So, why are we here?" I asked.

Vincent pointed at the window. I looked through. There was a girl dancing on a stage inside. "Her?"

"Yep, that's Rose," Vincent said.

She got off the stage soon after. The doors next to us opened and she walked out. "Hey Vince."

The voice startled me. It was much deeper than I expected.

Rose laughed, "Who's this?"

"A new friend, he was alone," Vincent told Rose.

"Hi, I'm Zak," I said.

"Hey Zak, I'm Rose," Rose said.

"Well let's go," Vincent said, "How much did you get today?"

Rose opened a bag and showed Vincent. He nodded approvingly, and she put it away. What's in the bag?

Once we were farther away from the building Rose spoke, "Okay, I think I'm safe to drop the act."

"Yeah, Zak if you couldn't tell, Rose is a guy."

"I wondered why the voice was so deep," I said.

"My names actually Finn," He said, taking off the wig. "Ima change over there, you guys stay here." He walked behind a wall.

"Why does he dress like that?" I asked, turning to Vincent.

He shrugged, "To make money. He was doing that before I met him."

I hummed, and Finn returned. He was now wearing sneakers, black pants, and a blue sweatshirt.

"Alright, let's go," Finn said.

We walked beside him. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"I dunno, just walking," Finn said.

~~~

The sky was starting to get dark as the sun set. I was worried since we were out in the open. Vincent took out his sword. "Zak get out your bat."

I nodded, taking hold of my bat. We continued walking, this time towards shelter. My eyes widened when an arrow flew right infront of me. "That almost hit me!"

"Its a skeleton, Finn stay back," Vincent said.

What the hell? There was a skeleton holding a bow, arrows in its other hand. It fired, and Vincent dodged out of the way.

"Zak hit it!" Vincent said. I ran at it, swinging down on its head. It just pulled back, getting ready to fire again. I yelped, dodging just in time.

Vincent hit it right in the chest and it crumbled to the ground. "I'm guessing you haven't seen a skeleton yet."

"Nope," I looked down at the mess of bones.

"Cmon, we need to keep moving," Vincent said.

We went inside a nearby house. There was a room still intact and we went inside. I layed out my sleeping bag and sat down on it.

"Lucky, I just have a blanket," Vincent said, placing the medium sized blanket on the ground. Vincent layed down, Finn doing the same next to him.

I sighed, laying down as well. Closing my eyes, I drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hiya! Its Midnight!

Thanks for reading the first chapter of Survival

If you haven't already, check out my other book, Dog Dreams!

Cya! _/(•w•)/'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~