~{Chapter 23}~

George

It growled at me. I couldn't move, my brain was still taking what was happening. My heart beat fast. If there was anything human about it left, it was gone when I watched its jaw drop, screaming.

I took off running down the hallway. The nearest room was Clay's. I ran inside and closed and locked the door behind me. I was shaking, backing up into the corner off the room as it banged on the door.

"Clay please stop!" I shouted, though I knew it wasn't him anymore.

Nick

We took a break to breathe when we made it back to the base.

"Okay, let's go," Darryl said opening the door. "George? Clay?" He poked his head back out, "They're not there."

"Shit! We were too late," I cursed.

"No no, they're in here somewhere!" Darryl said.

"Here Nick you carry it," Zelk handed the god apple to me.

"Why? I thought you were gonna give it to him," I said taking it.

"Well, if he's already turned, we may have to force it into his mouth,"He explained.

"Oh, gross," I said.

"Oh my goodness what is that?!" Darryl ran behind me.

I looked to where he was pointing. A black creature was stranded near Clay's room, pounding against the door.

"Its Clay, we were too late," Zelk said. "I'd guess George is hiding in that room."

I held the apple tight, "Okay, so what do I do, just shove it in his mouth?"

"Yeah, make sure he actually eats it though," Zelk said.

I sighed. "Okay, can't be that hard."

I crept up on the thing– or Clay, I wasn't sure anymore. I jumped at it and tried to shove the apple down its throat. It faught back, trying to pull me off. I clung to its arm and around its neck. Though it was gross, I shoved my hand down its throat, forcing it to eat.

It stumbled backwards and fell to the floor, screaming out. To be honest I was a little freaked out, and ended up running back to the others.

"Okay, he– or it ate that apple," I said.

"Is Clay back?" Darryl asked.

"Not sure, I ran away," I said.

"We should go and check it out," Zelk said and started walking.

"Okay," I followed him and so did Darryl.

Clay's body laid crumbled on the floor. He looked normal, other than that the top left of his face was black, and so was his lower arm, hand, and side.

"Hm, it didn't go away completely," Zelk said.

"So what, is he gonna turn back or something?" I asked.

"No, he should be fine now," He answered.

"Okay," I said.

"Mind grabbing him some new boxers? The ones he's wearing are ripped," Zelk said.

"Sure," I said. I turned the knob to Clay's room. It was locked, so I knocked on the door. "George? You in there?"

I heard the door unlatch but no one opened it. I pushed it open and walked inside. I looked around and saw George huddled in the corner. "George?"

"Is.. is Clay okay?" He asked quietly.

"Yes he's mostly normal now, and won't hurt you," I said.