c h a p t e r t w e n t y t w o

"Aria!" I was enveloped in a hug as soon as I entered the aquarium. My eyes widened slightly but as soon as I noticed Oli's red hair, I relaxed in her hold, embracing her.

"Hey, Oli," I whispered quietly, my voice slightly muffled by her sweater.

"Where were you these past days? So much has happened!"

I sighed, feeling the heaviness return to my shoulders. Olivia noticed it and pulled me into another hug.

"Nevermind that, I'm just-" a sigh interrupted her sentence, her hold around me, tightening.  "-really happy you're back."

"Me too," I muttered quietly, closing my eyes at the physical contact that I missed so much during these few days, leaning in more into her hug.

She released me from her embrace, smiling at me. "You look so much better since the last time I saw you," she muttered, smiling at the end.

I felt a smile quirk my lips too. "Thank you, Oli."

Moments like this made me realize how my life was so... crazy these past months. Moments like these grounded me to normalcy, moments like these were the ones I craved.

"Well I'm on a break," Olivia stated, dusting her jeans off. "-so that leaves us time to catch up on everything."

I nodded my head, my small smile growing into a big grin. God, I missed her so much.

She chuckled slightly, hooking her arm over my shoulder.

"You better tell me everything or else I'll..." Her words trailed off. I frowned and slightly turned to look at her.

Her gaze was stuck on something behind me, a curious look on her face.

I felt a stare burning into the back of my head and I sighed.

Goddamn it. Now I have to talk with someone else. And I hope to God it's not Davenport.

"Aria?"

I turned my head around and my eyes widened. I let go of Oli, my hands falling on my side.

My lips parted.

Dark short hair was parted in the middle, and two brown eyes looked back at me. My eyes shifted downwards, and I quickly noted the wheelchair the man was in.

I knew him; a part of me was sure of it, but I couldn't remember where I ever saw his face.

Something about the man seemed familiar, and yet I don't remember ever talking to him or seeing him around here.

And then it hit me.

Matthew was in front of us.

"Matthew?" I questioned.

He nodded slightly. His eyes glanced from me to Olivia nervously, then back to me.

My lips slightly parted, still shocked that he was there.

Isn't he supposed to be... I don't know, asleep or something?

"Can I talk to you?"

I was about to nod but looked at Olivia, silently asking her if she was okay with me going to talk with him.

She looked like she knew exactly what I was thinking about because she sent me a small smile.

"I'm coming with you," she muttered.

I let out a relieved breath as she said that. I needed her support, and she could also fill me in on the things that I missed these past few days.

"Thank you," I mouthed softly to her, to which Olivia nodded.