Comfort

Marinette's POV

"What's the matter, MariBrat? Scared much?" Lila took one step closer to me, as I shrunk against the walls of my locker.

I always knew Lila was trouble, but I never thought she'd be the one to bully someone. But she's so unpredictable that I might've guessed it.

I hesitantly looked to my sides, as Lila came even nearer, but I breathed out a sigh of relief as I heard familiar voices from behind her.

"Step away from her!" He spat.

Lila's head whipped around as she turned face to face with Adrien. She tried putting on her charming personality as she said, "Oh, Adrien! What are you doing here?" As sweet as sugar.

"I'm here for Marinette. Now step away." He demanded again.

"Adrien, why do you believe her lies?!" Lila wailed.

"I think we all know who's the liar here, foxy. Now leave!" Alya joined in by appearing from round the corner.

Lila huffed as she muttered unkind words under her breath and stomped away.

Adrien then faced me, and said, "Why do you let her push you around?"

"Because, Adrien, I'm Marinette. My words mean nothing to her! And you're Adrien. Your words mean everything to her!" I replied, trembling slightly as I took my bag from my locker to head back home, without waiting for a reply from Adrien. 

Alya and I were walking back to the bakery, to hang out for a while.

Today was just like any other day. The same classes, the same teachers, the same work. The same stare from all my classmates except my best friends. And the same taunting from Lila. I tried not to let it get to myself every single time, but sometimes it's just harder than ever.

Lying has a far reach. And sometimes, a firm reach. But the truth always comes out, sooner or later. But it seemed like later was the case here.

Lila had somehow managed to turn most of my classmates against me, as most of them believed every word that dropped from her mouth. Except for Alya, Nino and Adrien. Who never left my side.

I know what she wants. Adrien. But I can't let her win. She has one obstacle between herself and Adrien. Me.

Her lies are like bullets, and her mouth the gun. Piercing the one who refuses to believe and entrancing the one who does.

Alya left shortly after walking with me, and I retreated to my room. All I wanted was the pain to end.

This torture, this excruciating ride, to cease. I know I have 3 of the most loyal warriors to fight this war with me, but in the end, this is my fight.

I have to be the one to end it, but I just don't know-how.

I needed to clear my head. Tikki had helped me as much as she could, but sometimes, even kwamis can't make you feel better.

I softly called out to Tikki, and she flew right to me, as I called my transformation. I wanted to head out for some fresh air to get my thoughts in order.

But one thing I didn't know, was that I wasn't the only one who was hurting.

When one becomes silent, it's because something changed. When one becomes cold, it's because someone left. When one breaks down, it's because one can't stay strong any longer.

I landed on top of the Arc de Triomphe and looked down at the bustling city. It was still early evening, and people moved about jovially.

A gentle breeze surrounded me, and I breathed in. And out. In. Out. In. Out.

Until I was interrupted by a voice that startled me from behind.

"You're here early M'lady. Especially on my patrol day."

Owing to the unexpectedness of it all, I jerked myself around and my expression softened only when I noticed it was Chat.

"Oh, it's you," I replied blankly, as I looked away once more.

The last thing I wanted to do was to confront Chat.

A hand rested on my shoulder, causing me to turn my head back once more, to see a pair of crystal green orbs, shining.

But shining, with worry.

"Ladybug, I'm sorry." Chat began.

And that's exactly what caught my attention. "Wh-what?" I stammered.

"Ladybug, I'm sorry for whatever I've done."

"But, Chat. You...what?!" I asked again, still as confused as ever.

"M'lady, I know my jokes are terrible, and that you don't like them. But please, I'm sorry. Please don't hate me." Chat explained.

What?!

"Chat, what?! Why would hate you, Chaton?" I asked, turning to face him with wide eyes.

"Well, why else are you acting so distant?"

"Chat...no! It's not because I hate you! Why would I ever hate someone like you?" I said as realisation struck me.

Before continuing, I wrapped my arms around him and then whispered, "Chat I would never hate you. It's just...some things in my life."

I broke the embrace slowly as I stepped away from him and looked down.

But I felt his gaze intent on me. And his hand under my chin.

Slowly, he tilted my head so that I would look at him, and then when he looked into my eyes, he whispered, "I have all day, M'lady. Tell me what's wrong."

"Well..." I trailed off, looking down again. Then I inhaled sharply before I continued, "My life is a wreck. I...I've felt lost, hopeless. I've lost my friends, I've lost myself. All people see is a mask I put on, even when I'm materialistically wearing one. I just...I can't go on. I don't want to. I only a few people left, and I...I can't lose them too. But with all that's been happening, I...I don't know if they'll stay with me, or leave!"

By the end of the speech, my entire body was shaking, my breath was coming in pants, and tears rolled down my cheeks as I looked away from Chat.

I knew he was looking at me. And I knew he was seeing me like this, but I didn't care.

He's the only one I've opened up to. But when he remained silent, I immediately began regretting this decision.

Weighed down by my emotions, I slumped down on my knees. But I was surprised to feel a pair of strong, leather-clad arms steadying me.

Chat kneeled beside me, hugging me to his chest, as more and more tears fell.

Despite all that I've been through, some part of me cried for a different reason.

Guilt.

I made Chat feel as if I hated him. As if I was avoiding him.

It felt so wrong, but so right at the same time.

Chat whispered in my ear, his breath fanning my cheek and his words calming me down, "Ladybug, it's okay. We all feel lost. But listen to me. There is always some light in all that darkness. Someone to show you the way. Your friends. And even if they leave you, I'll assure you one thing M'lady, I'll never leave you. I'll wait for you forever. Because I love you. And people don't leave the ones they love alone."

My cheeks heated up as I heard his confession and my grip around him tightened.

We just stood there, not able to form any words. But words weren't even needed to say what our hearts felt.

As I buried my head in Chat's neck, finally after weeks, I felt complete. I had finally found my haven from this cruel world. Him.