6 - A LEGEND

(Song: Something Good - alt-J)

The next few days went fast. Mae took her time to see as much of the temple as she could. She spent around 9 years in the temple, minus a few vacations home. She attended lessons on time for once, even the ones she found boringly easy. She said goodbye to some of her fellow students and other people she appreciated around the temple, like the cool droid custodian who never snitched on her. She wanted to take it all in. She had a weird feeling that reminded her of the dream with Anakin and the old Jedi temple. She shook those feelings and went to her last lightsaber combat class. Luke was teaching today. Ben would also be there. She hadn't talked to them much since the incident, but she was ready to apologize for her words.

She opened the door to the large circular room. Students had already started practising with practice sabres. Some older kids were talking. She looked around the room for Ben but he wasn't there and Ben was never late. He had a tendency to hide in his room, the hangar with the few X-wings for piloting practise, or the artifact room when he didn't want to come to class. She would check there later.

The class began. Luke lead the students through lightsaber forms. Everyone paired up to practise their combat skills. Mae normally partnered up with Ben but since he wasn't there Mae didn't have a partner. She sat down and watched the class. Students, even the people she thought were her friends seemed to not want to practise with her since they found out who her father was. It was understandable but hurt to be treated so differently.

She felt a gentle tap on her shoulder. A Togruta woman stood above her. She was older, maybe 10 years older than her father. She was very tall and had beautiful blue eyes, a white cloak covered her shoulders. She motioned for Mae to come with her. Mae got up and followed her to a space on the training floor.

The Force pushed Mae to follow her.

Mae didn't know what to expect when the woman turned around, dropped her cloak, and got into a fighting stance. She unsheathed her lightsabers. A colour Mae had never seen before omitted from them. White. Pure white. The woman smiled kindly to Mae. She was going to practise with her. Mae smiled back and took out her green lightsaber. Mae attacked first, more like attempted to. She ended up flat on her butt. It was embarrassing, but no one was watching and that made her feel better.

"Learn to wait before jumping into action, young one." The woman's voice was wise and confident. "Striking an unknown enemy first can be a fatal mistake."

Mae got up and tried again. This time she waited for the woman to strike first. The Togruta woman's white cabers crashed with Mae's green.

"Good. It's okay to fall sometimes but always get up again no matter what."

Mae was able to hold off the woman's blows which became a bit more difficult. She wasn't fighting Ben or Luke whose styles were completely different from the mysterious woman's. She was more fluid, extremely practised. She showed a true mastery of the craft. Mae defended herself until she was running out of energy. With one last effort, she force-pushed the woman back. Not quite knocking her off her feet.

The woman chuckled a little. "Better Mae, but don't get too cocky now."

Mae probably should have listened to that instead of wondering how the woman knew her name because not 5 moves later her lightsaber was knocked out of her hands.

"Focus is what you need. Your mind is all over the place." The woman smiled and deactivated her sabres.

"Who are you?" Mae used the Force to call her lightsaber back to her belt.

"My name is Ahsoka Tano."

Mae gasped. She couldn't believe it. Master Tano was a Clone Wars legend. She was a leader in the Rebel Alliance when she went by code name Fulcrum, she fought Sith Lords and more importantly was probably the last living trained survivor of the Old Jedi Order.