21 - SILVER & BLOOD

(Song: Flower of the Universe - Sade)

"I will stay.

I will stay until my time is needed.

For all, we have lost and for all, we may lose.

Teach me, show me what I have to do.

I'm ready to be who I'm destined to be.

I'm ready."

– Mae Skywalker

Caleb and Ezra stand there in shock.

"What happened?" Caleb pleads. He was so confused.

"I–I don't know." Ezra stumbles back in shock. Caleb turns to face Ezra. "I've never seen anything like that."

"Maybe then she's not dead," Caleb says, hopefully. "She's a Skywalker... she's special right?"

Ezra sighs, "I don't think so Caleb." He puts his hand on Caleb's shoulder. "She was gone. She's gone."

They stand there in silence. Caleb holds her lightsaber in his hands.

"What do you want to do, my boy?"

"We have to find the Resistance. We have to tell Leia what happened, maybe she'll know. We need to tell her mother, Mara, too."

"It's been a long time." Ezra thought about the last time he saw Leia and Luke.

"I know, but they will need us," Caleb says as he picks up Mae's cloak and her bag.

"So we rejoin the fight. Find Luke." Ezra agrees.

"Mae would want that. She would want me to be strong." Caleb tightens his grasp on her lightsaber and the cloak. The tears were threatening to fall, again.

"She would." Ezra agrees. He felt his heartbreak for his son.

Caleb takes Ezra back to the ship. He makes sure he has all of Mae's belongings, all that was left of her. He places her lightsaber on the counter next to the music box. He planned to give Mae that music box as a surprise one day when the war was all over. He would've followed her anywhere she went if she wanted him the same way he wanted to be with her. They talked once about what they wanted to do after the war was over when they slept overnight in Lothal. She had big dreams, she wanted a life.

"I want to see as many planets as I possibly can before I settle down. As a kid, I used to say I would fly to all of them. What do you want to do when this is all over?" Mae chuckled laying back in her little cot.

"I'm not sure. Maybe I'd join the Royal Republic Fleet with Poe, we talked about it once. Or maybe I'd go to medical school. I can imagine you settling down," he said with a curious tone. His feet were on the control dash and his arms were crossed behind his head.

"Maybe. I think I deserve a vacation at least."

"Do you want kids?"

"How would I know? I'm only 20. Besides, I don't know if the galaxy could handle any more Skywalker children. I think it would actually end."

Caleb laughs. Mae smiles slightly.

"I think I would like my own family someday in the future," Caleb sighs. "I hope they'll have normal eyes though." He laughs a little.