27 - THE DESTINY OF A JEDI

(Song: Skyfall - Adele and
My Body Is A Cage - Arcade Fire)

They land on the barren and broken surface of the rocky moon. The black dust flies up into a large cloud around the ship. The dust settles and they look at a temple carved into a rocky cliff. It looked like it was made of the same black sand and rock. It was a blanket of ash. The atmosphere had a yellow hue. Mae and Caleb bring down the door of the ship and walk out into the bone-dry landscape. At this moment everything felt real. Everything was coming into place. These were The Resistance's final steps to destroying Darth Sidious forever.

Together Mae and Caleb stand at the stone door entrance. This was the last Sith temple.

"I wish we were still on Naboo. I'll even take Tatooine over this."

Mae smiled at his joke but all she could see in his face was anxious and scared. "It was right here, all along. Right beside his home planet. How could we have missed this." Caleb says.

"We're here now and that's all that matters."

Mae could feel it through the Force. This was it. They had the upper hand because this time he would not see it coming. Mae Skywalker was hidden in the Force. She had mastered everything the Jedi of the past could give her, and now it was time to use her real power and new abilities. Mae senses an overwhelming feeling of fear, but it was not her own. It was what she felt from Caleb. This was her mission from the Force, not his. He didn't know what could happen inside this temple, he didn't understand the real reason Mae had to come here. He only knew what she felt he needed to know, and that would keep him safe from Sidious, the First Order, and herself if things were to go wrong. She looked at him.

"You're my best friend, you know that right?"

Caleb looks at her, surprised and confused. "What?"

"I have to do this alone."

Caleb doesn't say anything.

"You can help me better from out here, than in there. Plant the explosives around the foundation out here." She sighs and turns to look back at the door. "Whatever happens in there, no matter what you hear, do not enter."

"What happens if something happens and you run out of time?

"If something goes wrong in there, if I don't make it out after the first round of explosions or something else happens to me... promise me you'll blow it."

"I don't like to make promises I can't keep."

Mae sighs and turns her body to face his. "I think I'm ready to not be afraid anymore. I have to do this. I have to be strong by myself, because if I'm not strong for myself and by myself, then he has won."

His eyes fill with panic like she's saying goodbye. Mae steps closer to him and looks into her best friend, the man she loves' eyes. "I'm not saying goodbye. I'm not leaving. I'm saying... have faith in me."

He rested his hand on her cheek and stroked it gently.  "I understand now."

He looked deep into her eyes and she took her hand and place it over his heart. She could hear his heart beating in his chest. It beat for her. Mae took his hand off her cheek and brought it down to look at his palm. With her other hand, she removed her belt. In his palm, she places her flower charm. The painted blue snippet was tiny in his hands.

"For luck." She smiles as they look down at it.

"I thought you didn't care about luck." Caleb smiles, looking from it to her.

She shrugs her shoulders.

"Won't you be needing this luck then?"

She smiled, "No."