9 - BUILT ON HOPE

(Song: Mess Around - Cage The Elephant and/or Cherry Bomb - The Runaways)

"General Leia. Let me go out there." Mae says as she storms into the Command room.

"No."

"They're getting destroyed out there."

"Dameron has it under control."

"Sure, but how many of his fighters will make it back with their X-wings in decent condition? We have limited resources right now."

"Great, you understand then. I don't want you going out there."

Mae walks around the projector table. "Please, Auntie," she whispers, "I'm bored. They need assistance. And I'm more than capable."

"It's unneeded action. I will not take that risk. I need your skills here."

"From the look of it, the plan you've made has already failed. Please, General."

"Mae." Mara, who stands at Leia's side, snaps. She's tired of her daughter's whining.

The Resistance cruiser's shield is hit with another blast from the First Order ship. Leia and Mara grab to hold the table as the ship moves. Ahsoka sits in a chair at the briefing table watching Mae beg to join the dogfight going on. She remembers the times she was begging Anakin to let her participate. Another Resistance X-wing explodes outside their large window.

Mae looks at Leia, hopeful it would change her mind. She looks out the window, watching their fleet get separated by the storm of Tie-fighters. She couldn't take it any longer. She turns on her heels and storms out of the Command room.

"Pa-" Mara stops herself, "Mae Reeves you will not disobey General Leia's orders. If you make an attempt to join the battle we will have no choice but to put you on probation." Her mother yells. Mae doesn't stop. She hears a small chuckle from Ahsoka.

"We'll see about that," Mae whispers. Mae ignores her mother's calls and continues to walk down the hall.

Ahsoka stands up to join the women. "Mae's a very smart woman and an excellent pilot. I think she'll be just fine out there."

Leia faces the battle. "I know. Poe and her make a good team out there, but I am worried for different reasons."

"What's on your mind?" Ahsoka asks as Mara calls on the intercom from Mae to come back.

"She's attracting attention. When she joins the others in a mission, they swear secrecy to not talk about Mae's abilities, but a few people have seen her train, and the rumours are started. I feel uneasy about it." Leia looks to Mara and Ahsoka.

"I feel the same way. She's in more danger." Mara nods her head.

"Someday the galaxy will need to know the truth. They'll need her, they'll need hope." Ahsoka tells the ladies, a little hum is in her voice.

"You're right. I just want it to stay like this for a while. She's finally starting to smile again." Mara's head falls into her hand recalling the past years. Her happy, imaginative girl was gone, Mae was now a woman fighting in a war.

"I agree. I don't want her to feel burdened." Leia touches Mara's shoulder.

Ahsoka looks at the women, a seriousness clouds her normally calm face. "We all want what's best for her. I just fear her living in secret is dangerous. Secrets are a burden on the heart, we know this." They don't need clarification on who she is referring to.

"I understand." Leia nods. "When she's ready, she can choose the life she wants, just as we did."

Ahsoka replies with a small smile. "But for now, we let her be a rebel."