20 - THE AWAKENING

(Song: Pyramid Song - Radiohead)

Caleb and Ezra stand at the top of the massive dark hole and look down.

"MAE! MAE!" Caleb screams. They heard her hit the ground deep within the hole. This was no accident.

When Mae pushed them to safety, Caleb turned around. That's when he saw the crack in the ground separating them. She stood over it. He swore she had time. She had time to jump out of the way, but she didn't.

"Use the force, Caleb. We'll lift her up together."

They hold their hands out and steadily pull her. They don't move her position, they just lift until they can start to see her. Caleb's eyes widen and he starts shaking when she sees her.

"Caleb. Close your eyes and just listen to my voice okay. I'm going to check her out. Don't panic yet." Ezra was lying but Caleb closed his eyes.

They both heard her back snap when it hit the bottom of the hole. There was no way she was alive. Blood trickled a little from her head. Ezra grabbed her bridal style and made sure she wasn't too gruesome-looking for Caleb to see. Her eyes were already shut. He set her shoulder back in place and a tear almost spilt out. He hadn't known Mae long but she had sacrificed her life for his. She was truly Ahsoka's girl. He laid her down in the flowery field, laying her white cloak covering her bruised, cut, and broken body, then pulled her hair down to cover the gash of the back of her head. He checked once more feeling for a pulse but he couldn't feel it. He couldn't do anything for her. He could only be strong for Caleb now. He would be strong for Ahsoka.

"Caleb."

Caleb opened his eyes and saw her lifeless body laying in the tall grass as if she was sleeping. He looked away again and started yelling. He blamed himself.

"I could've grabbed her!"

"There was no time."

"She didn't run. Why didn't she run? She knew what would happen!"

"I'm sorry I don't have an answer to give you."

"We came here for your help! And now..."

He couldn't breathe. This broke his heart wide open. He saw Ahsoka die but this made him feel like a piece of him died too. It wasn't peaceful. It wasn't what she deserved. She deserved to live, her life had barely begun. He never even got to say all the things to her that wanted to say. She was upset in the portal and then they were running for their lives. There was no goodbye. No thank you's. No next times. Their time had run out.

After calming himself down, he plucked a few flowers and put them on her chest.
He touched her hair. "I hate you for this." He put her flower charm in her hand and lowered it down to her forehead kissing it softly.

He sat there with Mae, waiting for her body to become one with the Force as Ahsoka's did. He wouldn't let the tears fall.

Ezra gave Caleb space. Grieving was hard. Especially when you thought you would have a lifetime with them. He looked to Mae. She was dead, but something else was going on. He had a strange feeling. The Force still clung to her lifeless form like it wouldn't give her up yet. He did not understand why her body wasn't disappearing like he assumed hers would. She was clearly strong with the Force, so why was her body still here? Was she not worthy of a Jedi death?

"Mae." A soft voice calls out to her. She recognizes it. It's Ahsoka's. "Wake up, Skygirl."

"Ahsoka? Where am I?" Mae opens her eyes to look at her Master. "Is this a dream?"

"No. It's not a dream. You're with us." Ahsoka grabs her and pulls her into a hug. It felt so real. It was real. Completely. Tears fall from her eyes, as she grips onto Ahsoka. Sobs cry out of her throat.