29 - THE RETURN

(Song: The Princess Appears - John Williams)

"General Dameron, there are two people here to see you." Lieutenant Connix smiled as she watched Poe scrambling to find all his belongings. He had something very important that he had to do. Leia wrote a letter before she died. It was like a will, but more personal and she addressed it to her family. He could only skim over it before, but now he could get this will to Rey. She was the only person, besides himself that Leia had, or so he thought.

"Yeah yeah let them in. Thanks." He called to the door. He spotted the letter, picked it up and opened it. Poe read out loud quietly.

Poe, I have one last assignment for my best rebel. Take this letter to my family.

For Ben Solo, Rey and Padmé Skywalker.

He heard footsteps behind him and he turned to look at the friendly faces of friends he thought he lost years ago. His eyes widen as looks at Caleb and Mae. They looked so different. Mae's hair was now a silvery blonde, her wooden flower charm wrapped around the wrist of the hand that held Caleb's. A scar ran across Caleb's mouth, and he had a bruised eye.

Caleb let go of her hand and walked up to him, giving him a hug. Poe smiles and laughed, in shock.

"I've missed you, man." Caleb thumps in his back and then releases the shorter man.

"Where the hell have you been? You went MIA on me!" Caleb moves away to give him a look at Mae. "Reeves." Mae could practically hear the tornado of questions in his head. His mood changes from happy to confused and slightly pissed off quickly, "Y-You were supposed to be dead. Leia told everyone you died." He steps closer.

Mae puts a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, Poe. We'll explain everything." She smiles and looks down at the note he holds in his hand. She holds out her hand for it. "But first I would like to read my Aunt's letter."

"Aunt?" He looks down at the letter and then back up to Mae's face. "Are you..?"

Mae nods her head.

Poe's face lights up. "I can't believe it. It's you! You're a Skywalker. And you didn't tell me! I don't even know who you are!"

"Quit the dramatics. It was a secret for a reason." Mae takes her hand and holds it out to him. "My name is Padmé, preferably Mae, Skywalker. I am the daughter of Luke Skywalker and Mara Reeves."

He takes it and they shake, "It's nice to meet you, Mae Skywalker." They let go and smile at each other. "Then I do believe this note is for you." Poe hands her Leia's note.

Mae takes it in her hand and moves over to his cot. "Mind if I take a seat? My leg is just aching."

Caleb immediately takes her hand and helps her sit on the edge of Poe's cot. As she does so the slit in her skirt rises to her thigh, showing the sliver metal plates holding her leg together. From the foot to her mid-thigh, it was a mix of metal and flesh.

"Holy shit, what happened?"

Caleb snorted, "It's a long story, but to put it simply, Mae got cut by a creature with poison in its claws. We would have been here sooner, but we had to take an emergency stop on Mandalore to get her help."

Mae touched the metal lightly tracing the phoenix engraved into the thigh like a tattoo. "They were kind enough to use the Mandalorian steel from Caleb's amour." With her other hand, she gave Caleb's hand a squeeze. "It's practically unbreakable."

"What do you mean creature? What the hell happened to you guys when you left?" Poe's brain was all over the place. His eyes widened then narrowed at them, "Are you guys..?"