Chapter 8 | Enzo

We both got into his fancy, expensive car

We both got into his fancy, expensive car. I'm astonished at my desire to run away, being ready to leave with another man I've just met a minute ago, whose name I don't even know if it's real, carrying with me nothing but the clothes on my back and the purse on my shoulder.

And then it hit me, my chest squeezed in pain remembering Lucas, his peaceful face while sleeping, his arms wrapped around me, his whispers soothing my cries last night till I fell asleep.

My eyes stung with tears, and I turned my face away, toward the window, looking somewhere behind the buildings running along the side of the road at the speed of the car.

"It's always easier when you share," I hear Enzo saying after a few minutes of silence, and just now I realize I haven't even asked where he's taking me.

"Yeah... Well, I'm not much of a sharer, you know?" I try to avoid the subject or any other subject altogether.

He doesn't insist, just hums with a nod of his head, keeping his eyes on the road and driving for a few minutes more before he tries a new conversation.

"Um, is there any anywhere I can take you?" he asks.

"Not really," I reply, still glaring out at the window, impassively.

"Then you don't mind me taking you to my place till you clear up your mind and decide what you want to do next?" he sums up all my dilemmas in one sentence, which instantly wakes me up to reality.

I turn my face towards him, staring as if he has another head growing, forcing the wheels in my head to process what he has just said.

"I'm going to leave in the evening, though. I actually do have a place to stay. Just... not the one I've wished for," I say, thinking that once we arrive at his place, I'll make an online hotel reservation and he'll drop me there by the evening. Easy, right?

"Great! Then I'll take you there whenever you feel like going. And... you can always stay if you don't feel like going. Just... keep it in mind as a kind of second option," he offers.

I shift my eyes again to the window, muttering a "thank you".

The trip doesn't take long. We enter some big, iron gates, driving the car on some curved road leading to the buildings of flats in front.

I know this place. It's one of the finest resorts on the island where many rich people have holiday apartments.

Enzo pulls his car to a parking lot in the basement, and opening the door on my side he reaches his hand, waiting for mine.

I took it, getting out of the car and giving him a shy smile in appreciation.

Holding my hand, he walks us towards the elevator when suddenly he stops, making me bump into his muscular frame again.

"But I still can't take you up, you know. Not with this rule I have," he says with a playful smile.

My eyes widen in surprise and I'm almost afraid of what he means.