Chapter 25 | Healing pain with another pain

It's damn late and I've just realized I haven't called Becks all day, even though I've promised to be home early

By 7 I was almost done with arrangements but had to stay a few more hours. And those a few more hours became five, just because the fucking board couldn't reach an understanding about the CEO. I could have spent those hours with Becks. I would have loved to.

I feel guilty for leaving her alone till this late. I feel sorry for myself because nothing brings me more joy but to be around her, and now I'm speeding insanely on the streets driving out of NY, doing my best to control the car.

I'm thrilled I finally have arranged all businesses here, which means we can travel to Italy whenever we want, and most importantly I can spend time with Becks once we are there, away from Salvatore.

But I've left her alone for too long today. I didn't pay any attention to the time passing, jumping from one meeting to another until it was too late to be back home for dinner.

When finally, I checked my phone before getting in my car it was filled with missed calls, from papa, and Salvatore, but mostly from Becks.

The last one was half an hour ago and that's the one that worries me the most. It's a late call and I really hope nothing has happened. I have a hunch that clenches my racing heart in worry.

I pulled the car next to the entrance of the house and jumped out of it, rushing through the front door.

"Becks!" I shout her name, hoping she's still awake.

"In here, Vincenzo," I hear papa's voice from the living room, and it makes my muscles stiffen.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him while walking in but the sight in front of me makes horror fill my brain.

Becks is lying on the sofa with a towel held on her head while papa is sitting on a chair next to her, holding that towel to her head.

"What the fuck happened?" I ran to her and sat on the edge of the sofa.

Her face is white like paper and she's barely breathing.

"Becks. Becks, wake up, baby," I mumbled and grabbed her chin, moving her face towards me.

I hold her hands, strongly rounding circles with my thumbs on the back, hoping my touches will bring back life in her.

Which it did. Her eyes flutter a few times and the green of her eyes floods into mine.

"Enzo, my God. I called you so many times. Your father..." she tries to tell me, sitting up and curling her arms around my neck but when she sees papa behind me, she freezes, her eyes staring behind me.

"It's okay, Becks, it's okay. I'm here now. Don't worry," I whisper, trying to calm her down and I pull her in a strong hug, thrilled she is awake.

"Vincenzo, you need to leave for Italy as soon as possible," papa says but I don't pay him attention.