Chapter 27 | Bitter goodbye

Fuck, it burns like shit!

My hand clenches stronger than Becca's, as the burning metal of the bullets sends strikes of pain all through my back.

I try to move my legs, but they feel weak and soft, and her sharp shouts tell me that I'm not doing good.

I feel stifled and I seem to have difficulties sucking air into my lungs. Becca needs to be taken to safety, but I don't see Gio around, not even Ben.

Where the fuck are they?

Above me, the sky seems so beautiful, so blue and some drops fall on my face. Is it raining?

Damn, there are no clouds in the sky, how can it rain?

Someone is shouting my name repeatedly.

Becca, where the hell is Becca?

My body seems so heavy, I can't even move my eyelids and this fucking smell of blood fills my nostrils but there is one more scent I feel, one that I know so well. One that once was calming and warming, and I wouldn't forget it even in my death.

Becca holds my face with her tiny hands, and she is crying. I see her lips moving but I don't hear anything she says.

I try to sharpen my hearing, I struggle to hear what she says, she pulls my arms but fuck, she can't move me an inch and I can't move either.

Gunshots fly all over around us and I wonder where the fuck is Gio, he should have never ever lost Becca from his sight.

Her face hovers above mine covering all the chaos around. She is beautiful, so beautiful... she can't stay here, she has to run.

She can do it, she's strong, she's managed a damn bastard like me for so long.

"Come on, Lucas! Come on, baby, help me! Move with me, Lucas, come on!" she shouts sharply and tries to drag the heavyweight of my body.

"Becca... love... run," I try to tell her, but I don't even know if my lips are moving. "Run, baby... now," I keep telling her, and I wish she fucking listens to me.

"No, no, no, Lucas. Stay with me. Baby, please, stay with me." she keeps saying, bent over me, crying, and she doesn't let go of me, her warm palms scooping my face.

I want her to live, I want her to save herself.

Damn it! Becca, leave! I shout in my mind and probably my eyes speak volumes as I see her standing up and distancing from me while Gio hovers over me and shouts something at Becca.

Thank God I can't blink. I want to see her till she fades away. I want her to be the last memory I have before I die.

.
.
.
There is so much movement around me, some beeping in the background, lights all around me like I'm in a fucking light bulb.

.
.
.
I don't feel anything, although shadows pull my body on different sides and voices talk one over the other. I wished they would stop so I could stand up and go in search of Becca, but my sight became darker till finally, I gave in.