Chapter 23 | They finally got me

"The fuck I will! I've told you I don't want to have anything to do with it

"The fuck I will! I've told you I don't want to have anything to do with it. My business is here, my life is here," I spit at papa.

I knew very well this was going to come out one day.

"Fai parte della famiglia!" papa shouts standing up, all menacing and fuming. (You are part of the family).

"I never asked for this fucking family!" I shout back, not giving a damn if he gets angry or not.

From the corner of my eye, I see Salvatore shifting and in a split second, I reach for my gun on the table and point it to his face before he even has the chance to pull his own gun from the inside pocket of his jacket.

And he froze just like that, his hand shoved inside his jacket and eyes burning holes in mine.

"Don't fuck with me, Salvatore!" I hiss.

I've always had a fucking faster hand than Salvatore when it comes to guns, a much better aim, and damn, when I'm pissed I can be the heartless motherfucker mafia son. Just the way papa likes.

Being out of the family business is all a waste, he always says.

And I know he needs me. I know I'm going to do a fucking excellent job, but I just don't want to. Not after the loss that broke my heart forever.

I managed to keep myself far from it longer than I ever thought I could, and I was not going to back up now.

"Put the gun down, Vincenzo," I hear papa muttering but I don't break eye contact with my brother, nor lower the gun.

Papa walks around his office, coming closer to us, putting one hand on Salvatore's arm, slowly taking it out of the jacket and making him lose the thought of pulling out his gun. I'm still not lowering mine.

Papa grabs his phone from the desk, dialing a number.

"Did you bring her?" he asks the guy on the line.

"What?" I say, frowning my eyebrows at the thought that has just crossed my mind, my muscles stiffening and my hand gripping even tighter the gun pointed between my brother's eyes.

"Get in," he orders and ends the call.

He walks back to his chair and sits, with unbelievable composure.

"Vincenzo, one thing I'm disappointed in you is that... you seem to take me for granted. I do love my sons, both of you, but some things must be done in a tougher way than others," he speaks in a deep, serious voice.

The door of the office opens, and I can see Carlos coming in, bringing Becks with him.

Turning my eyes to the door and landing on her, my heart tightens.

She's standing there, in all her beauty, with an even face, blank of all emotions.

Her big green eyes are glaring at me, telling me she's at peace with whatever comes.