Chapter 40 | Difficult goodbye

I woke up the next morning when indeed I felt I had enough sleep

Opening one eye and peeping around the room I make sure I'm alone.

When I held that file in my hand last night I knew exactly what was going to be my next step.

It's Lucas's signature. I can recognize it from a thousand different ones.

I imagine him bent over his desk, in his home office, scraping his signature on the divorce papers, with his black eyebrows frowned, jaws clenched, and lips pressed in a thin line while his beautiful, icy blue eyes are shedding a tear.

What a silly romantic woman I am, imagining Lucas crying! I smile to myself for the foolish thought I've had.

That's what I wished happened, I won't lie! In reality, he was probably really waiting to put his signature on those papers. After all, he was just about to die because of me.

I look at the nightstand next to my bed and I see the file resting there and next to it I see my phone which I grab and dial Mike's number.

After two rings I hear his voice, breathing fast in surprise.

"Rebecca..."

"Hi, Mike. Um... I hope you are still in Sicily," I try small talk.

"Of course, I am still here."

"Good. How... soon can we leave for the States?" I ask, decided to get straight to the points.

"Tonight, if you are ready," he replies.

Damn, so soon?

My heart shrinks at his answer. Tonight. It's all so sudden, not only him coming back into my life but also the reason he has come for and my decision to leave, but maybe it's better this way.

With a little luck, I'm not going to meet Enzo before I leave. Because... what if seeing him will make me change my mind?

Last night was one of our finest. He has been sweet, loving, and tender and has worshipped all of me as if I'm the temple of his existence. That Enzo I've felt all night can easily be the Enzo to make me change my mind, leave Lucas behind forever and settle in here, in Enzo's kingdom.

"Which time should I be ready?"

"Our flight takes off every day at 6 pm. I'll be picking you up around 3 pm. Is that okay with you, Rebecca?" he says, and I can almost sense him smirking. Cocky bastard! He knew I would call him.

"Yes Mike, I will be ready at 3 pm."

"Good... and Rebecca..."

"Yes, Mike."

"It's the best decision. You belong to this business and this business belongs to you."

I pause taken aback by the certainty Mike has in his voice. I can't yet imagine myself a businesswoman, but I guess I'll never know until I try.