Chapter 56 | She feels different

I can't get rid of this damn headache since morning

I can't get rid of this damn headache since morning. Ever since I woke up from the coma, I keep having these awful headaches and no painkiller can take it away easily. I feel like my head splits in two and the fact that Becca hasn't given me any sign today doesn't help at all.

I'm drinking the third glass of whiskey and it's only noon. Fuck, maybe Mom is right, and not a minute later I see her name flashing on the screen of my phone.

"Shit," I curse and take the call, pressing the green button.

"Hey, Mom. How are you?" I start a small talk, hoping she doesn't have a lifelong subject to talk about.

"Luc, sweetheart, how are you?" she says cheerfully, and I relax as I feel from her voice that this is just a checking call.

"Good, mom. Good. What about you? How is dad?"

"We are both good. Your dad went to the doctor yesterday. All is fine, he just needs to be a little bit more careful with his blood pressure."

"Good. I'm happy to hear it," I say, leaning against the backrest of my office chair and hoping to end this call soon, pressing my fingers to my temples.

Fuck, this pain is too much today.

"Luc..." Mom says with a shaky voice.

"Yes Mom, I'm still here."

"Luc, your father says Becca is back," she breathes, almost afraid to let me know.

"Yes Mom, I know," I tell her, and fuck, the pain is darkening my vision.

"You know?" he says, surprised.

"Yes, mom. We met. We spoke. We are good."

"Oh, well... If you say so, honey. How are your headaches? Still coming and going?"

"No, Mom, none lately," I lied.

No need to worry them more than they already are.

"That's great, Luc," she says in a happy tone.

"Listen, Mom, I have another call. I have to go," I tell her, seeing Mike's name flashing on my screen.

"Sure, baby. We will speak later. Bye, Luc. Take care, sweetheart," she cheerfully greets me.

"You too, mom. Bye," I say and press the green button on my screen to launch the call of Mike.

"Mike, how are you?" I say in the most serious tone I can utter. I only hope nothing has happened to Becca.

"I'm good, Lucas. Listen, we need to talk. Where can I find you?"

"Office."

"I'll be there around 3 pm," he states and hangs up.

The gravity in his tone doesn't sit well with me, and the hours I have to wait till he has time to pass by my office... let's just say waiting is not my strongest point, not when it's about Becca, so I decide on two painkillers instead of one, hoping my headache will ease until Mike comes.