chapter ten

Chapter Ten - Car Crashes and Bad Memories

Ophelia was exhausted. It happened often when she was overwhelmed. There was something about big events that left her wanting to sleep for weeks after. It didn't help that sleep never found her easily, she would toss and turn for hours, begging her eyes to stay closed and for sleep to consume her. The Enchanted Forest events, Cora pretending to be Regina and then fake kill Archie, and helping Belle to get back the shawl from Hook had caught up on her and the coffee she constantly drunk did little to fight off the darkness that crept up on her everytime she sat down or rested for a second. It annoyed her to no end that when she needed to stay awake sleep was easily found but when she was desperate for rest so she could go about everything like everyone else, it was miles away.

Emma had gotten a call for her to go to the town line, something about a crash. Ophelia was dragged along with David and Mary Margaret, despite her reservations. As the car sped along, Ophelia's eyes fluttered closed to the rushing scenery. It was only a few minutes before the car stopped and she awoke. Blinking rapidly, it wasn't long before she realised they were there for a reason. She pushed open the door, hoping the fresh air would push away her exhaustion. She glanced around, noticing Hook lying on the ground, almost instantly. He was covered in blood.

She pushed away the approaching anxiety as she saw the crash and allowed herself to move towards him. She was never really able to forget the pictures of the crash she was in that circulated the local news. It stuck with her more than she would like to admit. 

"Hello beautiful," he greeted despite the obvious pain he was in. "Here, I didn't think you'd notice."

Ophelia rolled her eyes as she leant down towards him, pushing gently on his ribs. He cried out in pain. 

"Your ribs are broken," she stated, her words slurring slightly. 

"Oh, that must be why it hurts when I laugh. Did you see his face? His one true love, gone in an instant," he yelled out the last sentence, trying to sit up. "Just like Milah, Crocodile when you took her from me."

"But you took her first," Gold responded, hitting him with his cane. 

Emma rushed over to stop him. 

"I've got this," Emma informed. "Are you okay?"

Ophelia nodded, the underlying panic she felt, showing on her face for a second when she looked to the car again. 

"Go to Belle, she needs a friendly face."

Ophelia nodded again, moving over to help Belle. After a short introduction as Belle no longer remembered who she was after crossing the town line, Ophelia helped her up. As they walked she attempted to comfort her, wrapping her arm around the woman. 

An ambulance soon arrived. Emma ordered them to help the man in the car first before Hook. Ophelia turned to Belle. 

"Wait here," she instructed, leaving her beside the Sheriff's car, before moving next to Emma, Mary Margaret and David. She forced herself to look at the injured man inside the car, ignoring the fact that a panic attack threatened to emerge.