Chapter 6

The next two days were spent at sea. The sun was out, and as we walked around the top deck of our ship, we noticed the many sunbakers - and sunburners! - enjoying their holiday. We explored the ship thoroughly. And WOW did Paradise, our ship, had a LOT to offer. Max, Pheobe and I had a ball wandering around, finding all the 'mod-cons' and differences of this ship. We found rock-climbing walls, mini golf, water slides, an ice-skating rink, many shuffleboard courts, basketball and table tennis areas and and even a teen spa! We made a pact to promise we'd do all of these things before the holiday finished.

But that was a promise none of us could keep.

We met some other teens in our kids' club, though it was really more like a teens' nightclub sort of thing. There was a mini bar that served soft drink and cordial, gaming consoles, and an air hockey table, which was amusing when I sucked majorly, and Pheob and Harvey turned out to be naturals, though the Johnsons' DID have one, and Max and Harvey practiced on every weekend.

Some of the friends we made included Connie Burns from Armidale, Thomas nelson from Canberra, Philip McKenzie from Brisbane, Nellie Jones from Rose Bay, and Audrey Carter from Sandringham. We were mixed from all over, Phil even from another state, but we promised that we'd all stay in touch after the cruise was over, and we'd either be pen pals, or texting buddies. They were a group of cool people.

Well, that didn't stay true to its' word either. Though I suppose part of it did...

There was one incident, though, on the third afternoon on the ship, that makes me think that I could have changed everything. At least a part of what happened later was my fault. No one could take that out of my head, it was simply the truth.

"So, are you guys getting off at the volcano on Thursday?" Phil asked us all casually that day. It was a perfectly innocent question. He hadn't known it would change each of our lives.

"I will", Max said quickly. "I mean, I'm not gunna give up the chance to brag about standing beside an active volcano".

"I really want to go over and take some photos of the wildlife", gushed Harvey, ever interested in photography and biology. I looked up in surprise. I'd thought he'd be scared and would stay behind with me.

"I'm going for the same reason as Max", replied Phil. "Yeah", announced Connie suddenly. I wasn't planning on it, but why not? I'll go see if there's any places left on any of the boats over".

"What about you, Em?" Harvey asked me.

I felt like a deer caught in headlights. "Um, you know, I'm not that keen on volcanoes. They, well... they scare me a little, to be honest".

"Don't worry", said Pheobe, patting my arm. "I'm staying onboard too".

"Yep", replied Audrey. "Active volcanoes are definitely NOT my thing".

"I'll probably head to the mainland to check up on my social media pages, and call my friends", Nellie told us.

"Can't you do that tomorrow?" Phil rolled his eyes, though we all knew he had a mini crush on her.

She flicked her hair. "Yes, I'm doing it as well tomorrow in Auckland. But if you hadn't realised, I'm a very popular person. One day won't be enough".

We all smiled as the two of them shared a glance, then looked back at us all.

It was such a common, simple conversation. But we didn't know the choice that we made would mean life or death.

We didn't know that before.

Or I would have done more to stop my friends from going.

Seeing them live their lives.

Not in a coffin.