Chapter 13

Day 1 after the eruption.

No news. Nothing at all. No one, not even us, the relatives of those in the accident, knew the amount of injuries, or more likely, casualties.

The one good thing, though, through all of this bad, was that the mainland people could come back onboard.

Mum ran towards me. "Emily!" she cried.

I let her hug me, whisk me away into another world where this whole disaster hadn't happened. I felt her tears drip down my face. My own wouldn't come out. As hard as I tried, no tears would fall. But maybe that was because I could only tell happy endings aloud. All the hardships stayed inside, haunting only me.

No one knew how I was feeling. Not even jack, who'd heard my screams through the night, or Pheobe, who usually knew me so well. I had thoughts, or as some may call 'visions', several times a day. I saw my family around me, or my friends dead on the island. It was awful. Every time they 'appeared', I got the shivers. It reminded me of how much of it was my fault. I saw the people around me, crying and sobbing for their loved ones. But the ones who held it in all understood me. It was our faults. We could have kept people from heading over there. We wouldn't be suffering. Those who'd decided to book and attend the cruise felt a little responsible. I got all of that. But the people who weren't going over there to help and save those hurt? What were they thinking?! How could they choose that decision?! I nearly marched up to whoever was in charge, some guy named Frank, and gave him a piece of my mind. But what good would that do? Honestly. And mum wouldn't let me or Jack out of her sight.

As the warnings still stayed in place, I only grew more and more anxious.

Days passed. Still no word.

We all slowly died inside.