Chapter 19

That next day was horrible. We woke up without three members of our group; Chloe, Celeste, and Charles. He'd died through the night. Worst thing was, none of us except Max had packed any black clothes. No mourning outfits here.

In the hotel they'd kindly let out to us relatives of the victims, Pheobe wouldn't emerge. I knocked on her door, slipped messages underneath, even ordered her room service. Nothing. I knew she was grieving, we all were, but couldn't she let me in? I just wanted to give her a hug.

I understood later on, however. I hadn't been the same person then.

Ben and Luke stayed by their father's side all day and all night. I visited them every now and then between my own trips to see Brendon.

Brendon. My littlest brother.

And then the news came. There was a cave, collapsed, that may very well be holding the missing 30 people. Hopefully surviving people.

Nearly 100 rescuers headed out there on boats and helicopters. They had to save these perishing people. I wanted to join them, help search for Max and Harvey, but mum wouldn't let me. So I had to stay behind in the hospital, watching them rush back over to the not-so-active-anymore volcano. If it erupted again... even more lives would be lost. And they'd never find Max or Harvey.

At one point in time, Brendon coughed loudly, and I shot over to his side. "Do you need water? Or a nurse?" I fused.

And then he opened his eyes and shook his head.

I didn't move for a few seconds, but soon I was hugging him. My brother. Alive. The one who'd always been and would be there by my side, already the ringbearer at my wedding, and the person I'd always help out. He meant so much to me, the sweet little boy. Nearly 9 years old, nearly double digits in age, and he'd nearly been taken away from us. I would never let him out of my sight again.

I hurt him a little, squeezing him tightly, but I reacted as soon as I heard his groan. "Oh, Brendon! Oh, thank heavens you're okay! You gave us all such a big scare!"

He smiled back, until the last sentence. "I'm... sorry", he croaked, his dry throat making words almost impossible.

"No no no! It's fine! Oh my gosh, you're actually alive and speaking".

"It would... appear so", he replied quietly, his smile lighting up the room once more.

"I'll go get mum, dad and Jack?" I asked him. He nodded. "Though I'm not going to leave the room". I walked to the doorway, called out, "He's awake!" and sat back down beside my brother.

Everyone came running. They were just as surprised as I had been. It was amazing, incredible, just to hear his voice once more. You can't imagine it, it has to actually happen to you to know how it feels. And know I did at that moment. I will never forget that moment of pure love and joy. Ever.

*****

We spent all day with him. I think he felt a little overwhelmed with all the attention, but we weren't leaving him alone. We'd lost days from our Brendon We needed to get them back again.

Though at one point in time, Ben came in and said hello to my brother, before stealing me. Outside the room, in the cold corridors smelling of antiseptic, he murmured, "Max was found in the cave on the island". As my eyes lit up, he warned. "You can't see her yet. She was in a really bad coma, and has had to go in for scans. As soon as she's out, I'll come let you know, but it could be several hours".

"That's fine!" I cried out. "Oh, Ben!" I jumped up, hugging him tightly, but still no smile. "What about – "

"No news", was his blunt reply. My heart dropped once more.

*****

That night, mum took dad out for dinner. She said he needed to get away from the hospital, and he knew better than to argue with her. So us three Cooper's stayed behind with our invalid little brother. Brendon seemed happy with this situation, though his attitude towards the issue he was discussing was off. As soon as he said, "You guys have been amazing older siblings", and smiled, me and Jack shared a look of pure terror.

"But Brendon, you're not going to die", I told him quickly.

"Exactly", continued Jack. "You have years ahead of you".

Our little brother shook his head sadly and looked down at his scarred arms. "I can feel it, guys. I'm not strong enough to keep going. Even this is exhausting". He motioned to himself and us. "And if I did recover, I'd never be able to walk. My legs are really badly hurt. I'm done".

It was silent. We were all imagining, I thought. What would life be like without mature Brendon at our sides?

"And don't cry, please", he suddenly added. "Not while I'm still here, anyway. I want every memory and last moment together to be happy, not sad".

I looked over at Jack, who seemed to be trying not to burst into tears. I knew I must look the same, as I felt it. So I hugged Brendon tightly. Jack joined in.

Our last every Cooper-kids hug.