Chapter 9

The day arrived. The day where those who had wanted to would head to Mount Bellisle, the active volcanic island.

We were waiting for them to call them over the announcement to go and line up on deck 2, so they could begin to board the tender that would take them to that dreaded place. We all stood on the top decks, watching the waves crash up against the side of our large ship. They weren't very large at all. Maybe a metre was the biggest. But my stomach had larger waves in it. Something felt off about that day. I didn't know what, it just did.

And damn was I right to feel something was off.

As well as Harvey, Brendon, Max, my dad, Robert and Celeste Johnson, and Chloe and her dad were all going. My and Pheobe's mums were heading to the mainland opposite, and had already left earlier that morning, at around 8. That meant all of us kids and teens left onboard were going to spend it in kids clubs, or doing our own thing, like Ben loudly informed he was doing, working out all day in the gym. Me and Pheobe decided that morning we'd hang out in the teen bar for a bit in the morning, then after lunch walk around, maybe even go swimming.

I sorta wish we hadn't been so bright and positive that day. It was the last time some saw us. But I'm also glad that they saw us happy. Because afterwards was an entirely different story.

We heard the announcement. "Please head to deck 2 to line up to head on the tender taking you over", the lady said.  We all began saying goodbye to people who were leaving us.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Harvey asked me once again. The two of us were positioned a little away from everyone else. They'd begun to walk off, but Harvey had come up to me, stood beside me, looking over the railing at the island too, seeing the trees and rocks, and waves lapping up onto the shore.

I shook my head, smiling. "I already told you a million times. It's really not my thing. Besides, rumbling volcanoes scare me".

"It's been shaking for years and nothing's happened", explained the boy in front of me. "I'll keep you safe if anything does happen", he promised, looking me in the eye.

I felt myself blush, and glanced at my shoes, but looked up again as if I was hypnotised by his face. "It's okay, really. I'll see you tonight".

He sighed, like he was disappointed in my answer. "Alright. I obviously can't change your mind". I smiled. "Well, I'll... see you tonight".

We stared at each other for a few seconds, before he leaned in and kissed my cheek. It filled me with happiness and felt right, like it was meant to happen. Something about it felt like it had happened before even. Was it supposed to feel that way? Once he pulled away, I turned to him with what felt like wide eyes and a surprised expression.

He just looked at me too. He quickly stammered over his words. "So, I'll, um, see... you tonight". Almost shyly, he smiled. "Bye".

It wasn't until he was halfway across the room I called out, "See you tonight, Harvey".

I tried to stay cool, like all the girls in the movies, but it was so hard. I ran to a nearby bathroom. After checking it was empty, I squealed, then went to find Pheobe so we could wave goodbye to everyone.

Lucky we did that.