Chapter 18

That next day was a dark one. Bodies began to be identified, and every half hour or so, a new scream was heard. The family was receiving the news that their loved one was confirmed dead. How horrible, to not even be there as they perished! I could only wish, only wish...

I knew something was up when Marie (the youngest Watson sister) came and got me from Brendon's room. He still hadn't awoken, and I was getting nervous. But this new development gripped all of my attention.

Marie entered the waiting room, me following close behind. I saw the entire Watson family sitting on chairs opposite a doctor. Luella and her 4 children; Pheob, Lucie, Kate, and now Marie.

As soon as, "I'm sorry", was said, all was known. They'd proven our worst nightmares.

Chloe was gone.

Pheobe practically collapsed on me. She grasped me so tight I found it difficult to breathe. But I understood. She needed someone. Chloe had been her closest sister, and now she was gone. I rubbed her back in comfort. "Shh, shh", I repeated over and over again. I felt my shoulder of my shirt gain the weight of her tears. This was just the beginning. What else would happen? What other casualties would there be?

I hurried back to Brendon's room when my friend pushed me away, screaming, "NO! NO NO NO!" and the doctors and nurses took her away to calm down. I think I was worried Brendon would be gone too by the time I made it back. But no, he was still there, holding on, fighting. I knew he'd fight until the very end, and that wasn't meaning until it killed him. No, until he'd fought the pain and was all better. Or as best he could ever be.

Ha. Funny.

Dad was discharged from the hospital later that day. He came in to see my brother, and told me I should take a break. I obliged, but only because of the thought that our family were all back together. Was that selfish of me? Possibly, yes, as the very next events showed.

A scream.

That was all. Much like the hundreds of others I'd heard that day. But this one was different. I recognised it. Vaguely.

I'd only head Luke scream once before, quite a few years back. Max had placed a fake spider on the toilet seat, and assured us all he'd be using it (thanks to a hearty lunch of baked beans on toast). That scream had travelled for miles as he'd sat on it, and seen in stuck on his backside in the mirror. But this scream had sound exactly the same. I headed straight for the waiting room.

Luke was punching a doctor as I entered, and was pulled away elsewhere. And Ben. He was broken, you could see. His tears fell down his cheeks, and he didn't even try to hide them. His collapsed figure, along with his expression, told me he was done.

I sat beside him. Carefully and cautiously, I laid one of my hands on his. He seemed to know it was me, as he grabbed it and whispered, "Oh, Emily". I hugged him tightly as his sobs shook both mine and his body. I wasn't his girlfriend, I never would be, but he'd always been there for me, and we'd grown up together. I knew if Harvey was ever found (or even if he wasn't, he was watching up in heaven), he'd be fine with it. In fact, knowing Harvey, he'd encourage me to do it. Hugs really were amazing, for all genders. Guys deserved affection too.

Death seemed to surround us at all sides. It was scary. I saw Pheobe sitting with her dad late that night, with her mum on his other side. From the way he looked and the expressions on the women's faces, I knew it wasn't long.

They thought I was the lucky one. My family had no understanding into how they felt, losing members of their household. These people dying were just close friends.

However, I didn't have to wait long for my own body to travel downhill.