Chapter 11

Emily's P.O.V

After lots of code was shouted out, one of our kids' club leaders came over to us, all gathered around the window. We couldn't move, we were stuck there, watching the billowing ash and smoke continue to rise, knowing there was barely any hope for the people over there.

"Everyone, I need you all to go back to your cabins and collect any siblings onboard ship right now. I'm sure everyone's just fine". Even so, her voice wavered. The lady hadn't ever experienced anything like this before, it was plain to hear, as none of us turned away from the window. I vaguely heard the leader anyway. I was still staring at the scene that lay in front of us.

After a little longer, I was still thinking about everyone on the island. But I sensed Pheobe moving slowly away. But I couldn't follow her. I needed to know if everyone was okay.

A lady grabbed my shoulder. "Emily?"

But I couldn't respond. All I could say was, "They're over there".

"Who's over there?"

"Them".

She let go of me and left. I was glad. She shouldn't have been touching me in the first place. I had nearly kicked and fought, but I'd known that that would get me in deeper trouble, and then I might not see Brendon, and Harvey, and Max, and dad, and everyone, when they got back.

But what do you know? She returned to my side. "Brendon and your dad are going to be fine, Emily".

I later thought, 'How do you know that's their names?' then realised they must have looked them up in that short amount of time. All I said, though, was, "Harvey and Max?" It was honest, and I wasn't thinking straight at all.

"No, not Harvey and max. Who are they?"

"Harvey and Max, Harvey and Max?" I was hyperventilating.

She seemed to go on, speak without even giving a thought to what I was saying or doing. I was clearly in shock, needed medical help or something, and all she said was, "Jack needs you right now. Let's go fetch him, shall we?"

The lady tried to pull me. I reacted badly. I screamed loudly. "I NEED TO SEE THEM! LET ME GET TO THEM!" I clung tightly to the sides of the porthole window. She grasped me around my waist, but I just pulled tighter to the wall. I shook around, her hands slipping and losing a grip on me. Several other workers saw and came to help, in fact, later I was told that every single one in the area began to help the lady trying to 'help' me. I apoligised later on, don't worry. To every single one of them. But at that time, I wouldn't listen to any of them. None of them, or no one ever, could take me away from that window. My one window to let me see my loved ones.