Chapter 17

Another day passed, and finally some more news. Sadly, more bodies, right near people found alive and breathing. It scared everyone that the weak in comas might have a heart attack when they found out their loved ones had died right beside them, if it turned out they were related.

Which it would.

Good news, though, was that some of our family members were found. Charles. Robert. And Brendon.

My brother was not good. It was plain to see to everyone, including Brendon himself. His legs had severe burns and cuts had gotten infected. He'd had surgery, but even then, no one was sure he was going to make it. He'd never be able to walk properly again. There were more burns down his arms, torso, even his face. I sat by his side, holding his hand, while he slept. Only after mum forced me to go with Jack to see the others did I leave.

Robert was in a coma, which in a way was good, but also bad. No one knew what effects it had had on him. But as he cried out in his 'sleep', doctors whispered behind us that he was probably fighting inside demons. Ben and Luke were in there, though Luke looked as bored as could be. I felt sorry for Ben, who had to deal with him.

And Charles. He was on life support. He'd been badly burnt all over, and had been lying on top of someone who'd been dead on arrival. The officials hadn't been able to identify who the perished was, but there was unspoken worry that it was Chloe. Everyone else still held hope though.

I didn't.

I had no hope at all now. What was the point? The people I'd grown up with were dying.

Dad was already nearly better by this stage. His chest was bandaged up tightly, and it was expected he'd leave very soon. Whenever I asked him about the others, though, he'd shrug his shoulders in response. He either didn't remember, or didn't know. He was no help. I felt disconnected from my own father.

I again searched for Celeste, Max, Chloe and Harvey in the wards with burnt people slowly recovering. I didn't find any of them.