6. Unforeseen Consequences

The attacks continued over the next two weeks and Sam's house became their makeshift command center. It was out of the way, very few people knew the location, and it was definitely not bugged. Between holding and playing with the baby, they all plotted against the two big evils in their lives.

The Agency and Snitch Gravel.

"Screw him to heck and back," Tom mumbled in a sing-song voice while bouncing Sammy on his knees.

Sam stifled a laugh. It was so funny to hear Tom talk like this, but even if Sammy was too young to understand what they were saying, it was a unanimous understanding that there would be no swearing or anger around the baby.

"At least he's giving us a decent break between attempts," he pointed out. Plus, what with training back in full force, it wasn't much of a challenge to stop random explosions and kidnappings again. The familiarity of it was strangely comforting.

"I don't like this. It needs to stop." Tom started tickling Sammy, making her full baby laugh fill the kitchen. "Did you talk to Jessie?"

"Yes, but she still hasn't given us the signal."

This annoyed Sam beyond belief. Not so much that Jimmy wasn't getting well enough for them to bust him out since they hadn't really come up with a brilliant plan yet, but the fact that they couldn't talk to Jessie freely. Their phone encryptions weren't good enough from preventing the Agency from hearing in, so they couldn't risk it.

They'd agreed that the moment Jessie needed their help, she'd call and claim that she sprained her ankle. Then they'd all head over and bust Jimmy out once and for all. And after that... Well, that was where it got messy. They all agreed it needed to be thoroughly discussed, but it was something they definitely should include Jessie in. Except Jessie was thousands of miles away and they couldn't figure out a time to meet and get it out of the way.

Sam was secretly terrified Jessie would give them the signal and they'd have no idea what to do. The pressure was mounting and it made everything even harder to bear.

Christine let herself in and after a quick hello to both him and Tom, picked up Sammy. "Who's ready for a nap?"

Sammy most certainly didn't understand because she clapped excitedly.

"You fed her, right?" she asked.

It was amusing how she sounded almost reproachful, ready to snap at him if he'd failed to take care of his daughter properly. "Yes, of course. As agreed."

"That's good. Who's a good daddy?" she cooed to the baby.

"Christine, I'm sure he'd appreciate it more if you called him a bad daddy," Tom pointed out.

Christine burst into laughter, but Sam punched his twin's shoulder, aware he should be seeing the good in the situation. Tom was making real efforts to accept Christine and not be a total douche to her. Sam really appreciated how everyone just rolled with it and acted as if this new Christine had nothing to do with the old one and all the bad history between them.

Which wasn't too hard seeing as she really did seem to be a different person. She was still stubborn and feisty, but Sam hadn't minded that even when he was going out with her. Other than that, she now had a softness and consideration that made her a million times more beautiful.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Talking about Jessie," he said, the subject returning his bad mood.

"She still hasn't called, has she?"

"We can't talk over the phone properly," Tom said. "And it's not like we can all drop everything and randomly fly out there. It would be too obvious. There's so much plotting to do."