8. Bad Timing

Jessie made her way inside the Agency facility, her high heels clicking on the tiled floors.

She had no idea why, but as she'd packed her bags for Chicago that morning, she felt like dressing up. It had been months since she'd worn anything but flip flops and sneakers. Since Sam's wedding, to be more precise.

Almost a year. It's been almost a year. Afnd almost three months since Skye died. The thought still made Jessie cringe. She hadn't been there, and she hadn't seen Sam since. It was understandable since he couldn't travel across the country with a baby depending on him.

It still hurt and guilt smothered her every time she thought about it. She should've flown over for the funeral, even if he claimed there was no need. Not saying her final goodbye to Skye weighed down on her on top of everything else. 

But that day had come and gone, and now she was finally flying back to see everyone again. She missed them so much, and even if it would only be for a few hours, she needed it like air. It was maybe that which determined her to dress up.

Not like she was too fancy. She still had jeans on, a red tank top and a white blazer. It was just the high heels that made it look smart casual rather than sloppy.

I must be out of my mind. Why was she fixating on the shoes anyway? Probably to distract herself from another sketchy decision.

Her bag was packed and waiting for her in the car. She still had about an hour until she absolutely had to be at the airport. And that was why she couldn't leave without seeing Jimmy for the day.

"I have time," she whispered to herself.

People stared at her as she passed, maybe because she'd mentioned she wouldn't be coming in today.

This isn't healthy. Why can't you just have on day in which you don't see him?

Not like anything had changed. It hadn't in almost a month. Since that one breakthrough, Jimmy had been more absent than ever. It made her nervous, broke her into pieces. What if he was pretending and she couldn't tell?

It was maybe that which drove her steps towards his room. She threw a fleeting glance to her left, toward the large window looking into the research lab. It was more crowded than ever, everyone inside moving with purpose, their lab coats shining in the neon light. Clean and professional, like the entire complex, and yet they continued to fail.

Unless Jimmy was right and they weren't trying to make him better. What if they really were trying to test the serum on him? But it seemed unlikely when there were no physical tests involved.

One of the doctors stepped out and almost bumped into her. Jessie knew him. His name was Frank something and he was one of Jimmy's direct handlers.

"Oh, Jessica, I didn't see you there. Didn't you say you weren't coming in?"

"Hi, Frank. Yes, I know, but I just popped in for a short visit. I'm on my way to the airport."

Frank smiled, the corners of his brown mustache lifting. "I understand. Well, have a nice trip!"

"Thanks." She watched him walking down the corridor, wondering if he was in on it, if he knew that what they were doing wasn't helping.

Driving out all the dumb conspiracy theories from her mind, she entered the room which held Jimmy's cage. Her eyes scanned the glass block quickly and her breath caught in her throat before she relaxed. For a moment, it looked empty, but he was just on his feet, leaning against the darkest corner.