34. Warriors

It wasn't right, and Jessie knew it with every fiber of her being.

Everyone knew it, because there was no other reason why Von Crooken had pushed them like a shield between his men and Jimmy instead of ordering them captured. He didn't even think to use them to get Jimmy to back down, threaten him with their well-being.

Because he wouldn't care and it was obvious to everyone. That wasn't Jimmy. And it didn't hurt anyone as much as it did her.

"Hotstuff, what did you do?" she whispered.

"Jessie, what's going on?" Jerry asked. There was a tremble in his voice with only hinted at the fear he had to be feeling.

"Go on now, he's your brother," Von Crooken taunted. "Go to him!" He'd called all remaining men back, so now nothing stood between them and Jimmy.

There was so much blood on the floor, so many bodies. And he just stood there, panting, his swords out and ready, as if waiting for his next victim. There was no light in his eyes, no sign of recognition.  Was he back inside the void or had something even more sinister happened? It was hard to believe it was the same man who had proposed to her the last time they'd been together.

There were scared voices behind them, enraged calls as the henchmen demanded that someone shot Jimmy. As much as she loved him, Jessie could see their point. He was terrifying.

But he wasn't attacking them. Not yet at least.

Jimmy seemed to grow bored of the wait because he took a step forward, twisting his swords once as if daring them to step closer.

"What happened to him?" Tom asked, his voice low and lacking any form of amusement or sarcasm.

Jessie just shook her head, unable to provide an answer. Yet, she knew she should. They had to do something, because there was no way this would go on for much longer. The monster was restless, demanded action.

"I said move," Von Crooken barked.

Something hard and round, most likely the barrel of a shotgun, pushed against Jessie's back and she stumbled a couple of steps forward. Kay, and Jerry did the same, also pushed from behind.

"Move, or we'll shoot you!"

There shouldn't be a choice. Jessie should run to him, hug him. And yet, the chill surrounding him made her more willing to face Von Crooken's guns.

"Oh, this is perfect," the man said, his voice finally free of fear. There was only satisfaction there as he realized that he had them, that they had no choice but to go one way or the other.

"Any suggestions?" Kyle asked, taking a voluntary step forward and standing in line with the rest of them.

Jimmy stepped forward as well, his narrowed eyes fixed on Kyle, rightfully perceiving him as the immediate threat. Singled out by his size, the obvious sense of danger surrounding him, and the brainwashing of the Agency.

"We have to wake him up," Jessie whispered. "I don't know what happened, what he did, but this isn't Jimmy." He had to be in there somewhere, though.

"I have an idea," Tom said from behind them. "Let me talk to him."

Jessie and Kyle both turned to him, as did Kay and Jerry. Jessie saw the merits of Tom's idea, why he would suggest that, but  Angie, Christine and Sarah were holding him up, so it was too dangerous.

"No. You can hardly move," Kyle said. "If it backfires, you're defenseless."

"He's my brother. We grew up together. He's not going to hurt me."