Chapter One

I knew that the words weren't for me

I knew that the words weren't for me. It was so rare to be cursed. There was no way that I could be one of the cursed. Everyone here had an element. Once you turned sixteen you went to the village building, where they had you determined which element you are by taking a test. How well you worked in water. How well you worked in nature. How well you worked with fire. How well you worked with air. If you didn't work well with any of them... you were cursed. I didn't know if it was real but many legends said you're cursed if you don't fit in. I didn't know what they did with cursed people. I just knew it wasn't good.

There was no way I was one of them. I was scared of the dark. I hated it. And there was no way I was evil. I couldn't be. But then again... those who were cursed... didn't really have a choice, did they? I didn't know. I didn't want to know. And hopefully I would never know. The idea of being cursed made me shudder.

I sat there staring at the impossible words as they slowly sank to the bottom of the fountain.

Beware of the Curse

I wouldn't let the words get to me. I turned away from the fountain, so I couldn't see the words anymore.

"Eila?" I heard Everest's voice call out.

"Here," I said, glad to have company. Everest and I were like siblings. We swore to protect each other, and unlike my brother, Everest was able to keep the promise. We both lived together in a shack that I made, purposely close to the woods. He hunted. I worked. We were happy. Or happier than most people in Syra. Our personalities were pretty much the same. We both were brave and loved challenges. We were willing to do anything for our loved ones. The only thing that was different about us was he had no problem killing while I did. I loved Liam, while he hated him. He hated my brother for leaving me. I tried to convince him that my brother was a friend, but he insisted that he was evil.

Despite our similar personalities, we looked opposite. He had straight black hair and striking blue eyes. While my hair was curly, and light brown. I also had lively green eyes that were almost as bright as his but not quite. His hair was always a mess, while mine was always tied back in a waterfall braid that I had learned from my hairdresser at Liam's wedding. We were both pretty average looking compared to most of the other people out there, but to tell the truth if we went out to Aurum wearing our old clothes we would definitely look below average.

Most of the days we spent doing our separate things. I worked at the shop while he hunted all day. We met in the woods at five, ate, then retreated to our shack. Curfew was at five sharp. We never listened to that rule. They didn't check anyway.

"Eila what are you doing he- oh wow," Everest started, before spotting the fountain behind me.

"I know," I said, as he took in the scenery.

"It feels like I'm in a dream," he whispered, in awe.

"More like a nightmare," I muttered under my breath, and luckily he didn't hear because I planed on keeping the note a secret.