Chapter Thirteen

Everybody just sat there in silence. I worked up the courage to open my mouth but just as I did the bell rang. Finn got up, not looking toward me. Brooklyn, Amara, and Aria were all still shocked my Finn's statement. I forced myself off the floor and followed Finn down to the lunch room. That was a bad idea. Brooklyn, Amara, and Aria finally came to their senses and told us that they'd be a little late because they have "girl stuff" to do.

That left me and Finn. Walking toward the lunch room alone.  How convenient. I tried to ignore him and act like nothing had happened. Finally when we were halfway there he turns toward me.

"Please talk," he begged. I stare at him dumbfounded. Talk? What was I supposed to say?

"About what?"

"Anything. What do you think? About me I mean,"

"I... I don't know. I think you're nice I suppose," I mumbled to him with my head down. I really didn't have feelings for him. He was simply a friend. A good friend. Definitely not an Everest though. But I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He meant too much to me.

"Nice? But... do you like me?"

No. No I didn't. Not in the way he's thinking of at least. I looked away. He was too old. I was about to say that when I realized he and Everest are the same age. I made up my mind. I opened my mouth to speak but was interrupted by Audrey.

"What are you doing?" she asked me with a sneer, as she pushed her way in between us. Only then, did I realize just how close me and Finn were standing.

"Talking," Finn answered for me. She glared at me. Why did she hate me so much? I didn't even like Finn!

"About what?" she put her hand on his shoulder, which he shoved off. She gave him a hurt expression before turning back to me and repeating the question.

"About what?"

"None of your business Audrey," I glared back. Finn smirked at her and she slapped his face and stormed off. I felt bad for her. I knew I shouldn't. She'd been nothing but mean to me. But I had to remind myself she's jealous. I would do the same if she liked Everest. With that thought I rushed to catch up with her. She went faster but of course I kept up with her. I was a much faster runner.

Finn just stared from behind. He seemed confused.

"Audrey," I called. She turned back and folded her arms, clearly giving up on trying to outrun me.

"What do you want Eila?" What did I want? I didn't know.

"I... I just need to say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry for whatever I did. I want you to know that... I don't pose a threat between you and Finn," I told her truthfully. Finn had been a friend. I wouldn't want to love him. I had Everest. She stared at me.

"You don't love him?" she asked. I rolled my eyes at how dramatic and movie- like this was. I felt like I was in some type of drama.Yet, I played along as I let out a breath of relief. I was surprised she was actually listening.

"No, I don't. He is a good friend but I would never steal him from you,"

"I- I don't know what to say. I've been so mean to you. I am so sorry," she replied looking shocked. I smiled at her. That was easier than I thought. Now I really feel like I'm in a drama.

"Friends?" I asked. I didn't want to press my luck. If I had any. She nodded.

"Friends." and with that we walked hand in hand to the dining room. I felt Finn's gaze burning at the back of my neck. But I ignored it. I would have to talk to him later.

In the dining hall everybody was eating at the table. Brooklyn, Aria, and Amara were all sitting at the table, happily talking to each other in excitement. When they turned toward us they looked confused.