Chapter Eleven

I awoke in a cold sweat. I was panting and shivering at the same time. I pulled my covers off me and check the time.

7:30

I almost sweared. I was late for breakfast. I rushed into the bathroom. My hair was a mess so I braided it back into the viking braid I did last night. I quickly brushed my teeth. When I got out of the bathroom it was 7:40. I grabbed my bow and arrow. I only had twenty minutes to finish breakfast. I ran out of the room. Nobody was there. I wished they would have woken me.

I rushed into the dining room in a hurry. I ignored the staring people as I took my seat and filled my plate.

"Hey. Why are you so late?" Finn asked at my side. I turned to him, an apple in my mouth. I covered my mouth as I spoke.

"Didn't sleep well," I mumbled, my mouth full of food.

"I wouldn't say that. This morning you were snoring like crazy," Audrey scoffed next to me.

"Audrey. No teasing, that was her first attack. And it was on her, so don't be too hard," Finn warned her. She rolled her eyes at him but was quiet the rest of the meal.

I was just done with my food when Vanessa rang the bell.

"Fellow fifth elemental! I would like to announce a new record. Yesterday killed thirty two fifth elemental, beating our record of twenty six. I announce Eila to be one of the most dangerous fifth elemental. She should be very careful. I would like to speak to her, you are all excused," Vanessa called. I felt like a stone just dropped in my stomach. I stayed at the dinner table as the rest leave.

"Don't worry," Finn whispered in my ear. Then he was gone. I turned to face Vanessa who was sitting at the front of the table. The rest of the fifth elementals filed out of the room. Once we were alone Vanessa made her way toward me. Her orange gown swished as she walked. Her black hair was pulled back tightly, making her look stern. An orange crown adorned her head. There was an intricate butterfly carved into it. A butterfly. It reminded me of the fountain. Of the note.

She smiled at me. Tightly.

"Eila West. Come here," she said, moving off toward a door in the back of the dining hall. I followed obediently. We walked down the halls silently. I kept a careful distance away from her. I didn't trust her. Not yet.

Finally she made a sharp turn and opened big golden double doors. The doors had the same symbol as Vanessa's crown. A butterfly. When I looked closer I see that it was a monarch.

The inside of the room was meant for royalty. There was a throne that is engraved with the same butterfly design. It was huge. Fit for a queen. On either sides of it were huge monarch statues. But that wasn't what catched my eye. It was the fountain.

An identical fountain to the one I jumped in to get here sat in front of the throne. The same statue and everything. Vanessa lead me toward it. I heard the calming sound of the fountain as I got closer. Vanessa took her seat at the throne. I stood awkwardly beside her.

"Do you know what the ruins on the fountain mean Eila?" she asked. I studied the ruins on the fountain. I couldn't place them.

"No," I answered.

"I see. Do you want to know what they mean, Eila?" Vanessa asked. I stared at her. Was she testing me? Did my answer matter? Or was she simply trying to make conversation?

"I... yes. Yes I do," I said wearily. She nodded, and I hoped I said the right thing.

"There are three words actually," she started. I stood there waiting for the words. She breathed them out gently. As if the words were a song.

"fifth element, cursed" she whispered.

"And, forgiveness," she finished. I stared at the ruins, trying to imagine each word. Vanessa stood.

"Eila. I would like to talk to you," she told me. I nodded to her.

"About what?"

"About you. I feel it. You are a powerful fifth elemental. You are heavily cursed. But I also feel hope in you. You have a dangerous future. I have a feeling... you'll be the first to break the curse," she whispered to me.

"Is that possible?" I asked.

"Very possible. Nobody's ever done it but it doesn't mean it isn't possible," she told me. I stared at her. I could break the curse. I could have a normal life with Everest. The thought makes me smile.

"Another thing I want to talk to you about," Vanessa said, breaking my happy bubble a bit.

"What?"

"I thought you would like to know that there is a war. A war going on between Benile and Aurum. At the moment Aurum is winning. I am afraid that many Benile are dying. Little will survive. I just thought you should know because your friend,Everest, he is in the war. So is your brother. Liam," she said. My happy bubble popped.

Everest was in war. No he is in war with Aurum. And he was going to lose. He was going to die. Panic shook me. This couldn't be happening. Not Everest. I had to help somehow. But that wasn't the worst part. Liam was also in the war. My nightmare just came to life. Now I had to choose who I would help. Liam or Everest. Friend or family.

The choice seemed obvious. I should chose Everest. He had sacrificed everything for me. His life. His element. His home.

While all Liam did was get me a job and then leave me to go get married to a rich woman. But it wasn't that easy. Liam was my blood. My last family member. And I loved him. But Everest was like family too. Friends are the family you make.

I will choose Everest. I will. My dream said so. I told myself. Vanessa sighed and put her hand on my shoulder.

"Don't make me regret telling you this. You promise not to tell anyone. You promise to not be reckless. You promise me you won't go after for them. None of them. You can't help Eila. Live with it. Promise me that," Vanessa said in a harsh voice, making me shudder. I faced her and cross my fingers behind my back. I took in a deep breath.

"I promise," I breathed. She nodded.

I convinced her.

I let my arm fall as she lead me back toward the door. We walked down the hall in silence again. Soon we were back in the dining hall.

"You know where to go from here. You missed your first class so go to your next class. Physical combat. Don't get hurt. I know that you missed the class last time so the class is just up the stairwell," Vanessa directed.

"Thank you," I said. She smiled. For real this time. I thought I was beginning to trust her until she spoke once more. When she spoke the four words that haunted me.

"Beware of the curse."