Chapter Seven

I put my hands up in defeat.

"I wasn't trying to... touch him," I said, giving her a sincere look. Boy did that sound wrong. But I meant it. I wasn't trying to touch him, at least not how she was thinking. That would be weird. I've only known him for a day. For all I knew he could be an evil murderer in disguise.

"Well don't even talk to him! Don't look at him!" Audrey glared.

"Okay. I won't next time," I told her.

"You better not!" she yelled, before kissing Finn again. And there they go. I looked away and turned to Brooklyn.

"Sorry. She's... really protective of Finn. You better not go near him, she'll bite you," Brooklyn said in a serious tone. I nodded. I didn't even doubt that Audrey would bite me.

"For now I think it's best to ignore Audrey. Once you get to know her she can be very nice,"Brooklyn told me with a slight smile.

"Yeah."

That was it. My roommates were pretty much silent for the rest of the meal. I tried to ignore Audrey, who kissed Finn pretty much every five seconds. If you asked me, she was way too young to have a boyfriend.

I ate until I couldn't. It was so strange having a full stomach. Back in Syra we had never gotten enough food.

Soon the woman in the orange gown at the front of the table rang a bell. Everyone droped their utensils on their plate and stopped eating. So did I.

"Everyone! Welcome! It seems we have a new fifth elemental today! Welcome Eila West!" the woman called in a voice that reminded me of Celestia's. I was surprised by my name and felt my heart rate go up. Wasn't there any other recruits she could call up? She signaled me to stand, and I did. All eyes were on me. I squirmed in my spot. When the woman told me to sit I quickly did, glad the attention had been turned her.

"Who is she?" I asked Brooklyn.

"Monarch Vanessa. She is pretty much our commander. Her great grandmother started the Anathema," Brooklyn answered.

"Oh," I whispered, because Vanessa was now in an important speech about why we needed to stay together and why we could never leave. Once she was done she sat, while the rest of us stood. I followed Brooklyn out the door, as I caught a glimpse of Finn and Audrey sharing a farewell kiss on the cheek.  

Once we were back in our quarters I returned to the piano to continue playing. Brooklyn followed and so did Amara and Aria. Audrey was busy doing her makeup in the bathroom. I found sheet music in a basket that laid beside the piano and played those. I had trouble with the first one. I never learned how to read the notes very well. I just followed my mother. The second one I knew.

Canon in D. The first song my mother taught me.

All three of them clapped every time I finish a song. I found it kind of strange playing in front of them but they seemed to like it so I played until they told me they needed to go to bed. I played a few more songs for myself after they left before cleaning up.

I searched the room for night clothes but didn't find any. I found myself standing in the bathroom facing the mirror instead. I looked so different. It was surprising how one day could change you. I wore a tight black jumpsuit which was so different from the loose jeans and shirt I wore at home. My eyes were outlined in strokes of makeup making me look a lot older than I actually was. My hair was in a tight crown updo, unlike the soft normal waterfall braid I was used to. I look away from the mirror as I washed off the makeup, and unpinned my hair. My normal soft waves were much bouncier than normal from being in the tight braid, they looked curly even, so I brushed it out. Once my hair was back to normal I braided my hair into the waterfall braid. I looked in the mirror again and this time I looked more like myself. I smiled at my reflection then turned away. I turned off the lights and walked back into my room.