Chapter Eight

Doomed. The word pounded against my skull, repeating over and over again. I needed to do something. Quick. I needed to get Everest back. I needed to go to Benile. But then... I was a fifth elemental. There was no way. I wiped the tears from my face. A heard a bell ring. I missed combat and physical strength class. Hopefully Evalyn was nicer than Meredith. I forced myself up. I needed to get to the lunch room. I stumbled into the bathroom. My face was wet from tears. I cleaned myself up as much as I could and walked into the crowded lunchroom. Everyone seemed happy and upbeat, in contrast to my gloomy expression. I took my seat, Audrey was already there and so was Amara and Aria. Brooklyn was nowhere to be found, and neither was Finn. Amara and Aria seem to be talking for once, and Audrey seemed just as gloomy as me.

"Hey, sorry I'm late," Brooklyn said, scooting in next to me. I looked at her, and she saw my expression. She asked me if anything was wrong and I ignored it. After her third attempt of talking to me I mumbled an "I'm fine," and she backed off. Audrey seemed upset too, so Brooklyn ended up having a conversation with Amara and Aria.

"Hey, you okay?" I heard Finn's voice say behind me.

"I'm fine. And don't even try Finn. You know why I'm angry and you better apologize!" Audrey replied.

"I wasn't talking to you Audrey... I was taking to Eila," Finn told her in a forceful voice.

I looked back, surprised, as Audrey gasped.

"Eila, are you okay?" Finn repeated. I looked back towards the table to hide my blush.

"I'm fine," I mumbled. It was silent for a moment, then he slipped in between Audrey and I. I expected him to go and apologize to Audrey for whatever he'd done, but instead he turned toward me.

"Sorry about earlier today with Hunter. He can be very...aggressive when he wants something," Finn told me, and I could feel Audrey's glare on my back. She might be mean but I couldn't help but feel bad. Finn was a great guy, it must be terrible to be in a fight with him.

"No problem. Thanks for helping me," I told him, trying to be polite, while at the same time using a dismissive voice. Hopefully we would take my sign and go talk to Audrey/

"Your welcome. I can't wait for class together!" Finn said enthusiastically, as he put his arm around my shoulder. I instinctively moved away until he dropped his hand. I could see Brooklyn, Amara, Aria, and Audrey all staring at us. Great.

"Yeah," I mumbled to Finn.

"So, do you know how to knife throw?"

"No, but my best friend Everest knew how to throw knives pretty well," I replied, giving up. He obviously wasn't going to talk to Audrey. Why was he talking to me anyway? Was he trying to make Audrey jealous? So we went on. Him trying to make conversation as I tried to deflect it.

"Is Everest a boy?" Finn finally asked. The questions raised my head.

"Yes,"

"Oh,"

"Well, hopefully you'll be as good as... him," Finn told me.

"Yeah. Hopefully," I nodded.  I continue eating and so did he. He continued to ask me random questions and I answered them with a simple yes or no. Soon Monarch Vanessa rang her bell and it was time to leave. I got up in my chair. Finn took my hand and led me to the doorway. Audrey was right behind us. I tried to wriggle out of his grip but he was too strong.

"Where are you taking me?"

"To class," He said. Oh, right. We had class together. And by how Audrey was following behind it probably meant she had class with us too. Great. This was going to be great.