Chapter Fourteen

We walked down the hall in silence. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I busied my fingers by playing with the butterfly necklace I had on. We stopped at my room and he stared at me as I turned the doorknob. I tried to ignore his gaze, burning at the back of my head. What the heck just happened? I needed to get away from him as fast as I could. He was dangerous. I didn't know what else could happen and I didn't want to know.

Just as I was about to go in his hand stopped me. I turned back to him.

He was just smiling. I looked away.

I didn't like him. And I repeated that phrase in my head over and over again begging it to be true.

What was I doing? I promised Audrey. . .

"I have a present," he mumbled to me.

"A present?"

"Yeah, here," Finn said, handing  me a miniature box. I stared at it and look up at him. The only presents I got were from Everest. I opened the tiny silver box, unsure what to think. I was pleasantly surprised when I see what was inside. Inside was a necklace. A beautiful one. Much nicer than anything Everest had ever gotten me. I mentally slapper myself for that thought. Everest had given me protection. That was more than enough.

It has a silver chain. At the end of the chain were four small beads lined side by side. Two were bright blue, one green and one brown. I took the necklace in my hands. It was beautiful. Finn smiled and took the necklace from me, pushing my hair to the side and securing it around my neck.

"Thankyou," I breathed. He grinned and his hands found the golden butterfly necklace.

"What is this?" he asked me. I searched his blue eyes.

"I got it in Syra before I took my test," I said. He took the chain into his hand and grazed it.

"Who gave it to you?"

"A woman that I paid to dress me for the test," I mumbled and look down. He probably thought Everest gave it to me.

"Oh," was all he says before dropping his hand. I gave him a slight nod, before opening the door and walking in. He waved behind me and I smiled in return.

When I got into my room I saw it. Another note on my bed. I started toward it. And there it was, the four words that haunted me.

Beware of the curse.

Just below that, though were an additional four words.

Beware who you trust.

Beware who I trusted? Who did I trust?

I trusted Everest, Brooklyn, Finn, and Liam. Those were the only people I'd ever trusted. How could one of them hurt me? Sure, Liam had his flaws. He chose another girl instead of me. Brooklyn did too. She had other friends. She may not be the closest to me but I still trust her. Finn... I could trust him. He was kind. He understood me. And Everest. Of course I could trust him. He would do anything for me. I loved him. He was family.

I slipped the piece of paper into my dresser. I would have to figure out who was sending me all these notes. I made my way to my bathroom to wash up. My eyes were hollow. Blank. There were bags under my eyes. I looked tired. I took off the rubber band from my ponytail. My hair fell, covering my face. I breathed out in relief. I didn't know that I was having a headache until the pressure released. I showered quickly and then changed back into the jumpsuit. I didn't like wearing the same thing over and over again. I'd have to see if I could find some new clothes. I dried my hair and left it down. I didn't want to put it back up.

I laid in my sheets wide awake. I heard Audrey, Brooklyn, Amara, and Aria all having a conversation in what I thought was Brooklyn's room. I laid there, listening to their hushed voices. I couldn't hear a thing they said. Soon curiosity took over. What could they be talking about without me?