Chapter Sixteen

When I awoke, I turn to see Vanessa resting on my piano bench. I peeled myself off my bed. There was a layer of sweat on my hands so I have to wipe them on my pants. What was Vanessa doing on my bench? Was I in trouble?

"You're awake," Vanessa smiled.

"Yes, I am," fear evident in my voice.

"Very well. I hope that you're alright. I've heard from trainer Finnian Azvameth that you've not been feeling well."

"I'm alright. The medic said I was under too much stress, that is all."

"Oh, really? Would it be helpful to lessen your schedule?"

"I don't think it will be necessary."

"Well I just came to check on you. Now that I know you are fine, I'll be on with my day," she nodded, standing from the piano bench. Her heels clicked against the floor as she leaves the room. Her hair was in a tight bun as usual. Her hair was jet black, and it was obvious that it was dyed. The roots of her hair was a beautiful hazel shade, and I wondered why she dyed it, her original hair color was gorgeous as it was. As I studied her figure, I realized that she resembled my mother very well. Hazel hair. Amber eyes. Sharp features.

She doesn't wear anything my mother would though. My mother hated dresses. She hated makeup. She hated crowns. And darkness.

As much as I wished I had my mother's beauty, I mostly took after my father. I had his green eyes, and my hair was darker than both of theirs. More of a chestnut brown than anything. My hair was wavy like my mother's, but I got my father's softer features.

"Eila," I heard. Finn. He stood at the doorway. Behind him was. . . Hunter. I tried to not flinch as they moved closer to me.

"Yes?" I mumbled, turning my head to face downward.

"He wanted to apologize," Finn explained pointing his finger towards Hunter. I didn't look up.

"Okay," I finally answered.

"I am very sincerely sorry. I apologize for. . . trying to kiss you. It was wrong and I shouldn't have," Hunter said. I wanted to forgive him. I should've forgiven him. It would've probably been for the best. But I was not the forgiving type. I was done forgiving. Forgiving my brother, and I'd had to forgive Hunter once before already. I could never forgive him. Even if what he did was a small mistake. I was done.

"Go," I said, calmly as possible. I brought my head up so I could see his face.

I gasped. There were deep bruises on the side of his face. What happened? I turned to face Finn. Oh no he didn't. I rose off the bed and started toward him in an angry rage. He backed away, holding his hands up.

"What did he do to him?"

"Only what he deserved," was Finn's reply. I stopped. As much as I hated Hunter for what he did, he didn't deserve what Finn had done to him. Nobody deserved to be beaten up as much as Finn has beaten up Hunter.

"You really think he deserved that? It was a simple mistake!"

"He deserved it! You said so yourself. You told him to go. You didn't forgive him!" Finn shot back at me.

"How is beating someone anything like telling someone to go? Violence is not the answer to everything Finn. You need to learn that," I glared, as I folded my arms. He glared and stepped forward, no longer afraid of me. I sent a glance toward Hunter and he held a look that said but telling me to go hurt just as much.

"I'm fifth elemental. That's what they teach us. Violence. All they teach us is violence," Finn shouted, turning away. Yet, I can see the painful remorse that flashes through his eyes as he spoke. I shook my head and backed away.