Chapter Twelve

In a second she had disappeared through a door. Leaving me in the silence of the lunch room, and the thundering of my thoughts. Was it possible that Vanessa sent me the note? Was it possible she wrote those words? My thoughts tore at me, begging to be answered. I was tempted to run after her. To ask- no beg- for the answers.

But no. I wouldn't. I couldn't. I stared at the door she disappeared through. After one minute of staring, I forced myself to whip around. I studied the deserted lunch room, and let myself sigh. I trudged through the halls and up the stairwell. I found the room marked Evalyn. Inside I heard grunts of pain and I closed my eyes. I forced my hand to twist the door knob open. I stared. Inside were a bunch of fifth elementals. They were all older than me. I looked around the room and spotted Finn at the end of the room. Evalyn was sitting on a chair on a raised platform. She wore a dark red jumpsuit. Her dark red hair was pulled up into a ponytail and her makeup looked just as intense, with eyeliner lining her eyes with black and red swirls. 

When she spots me her red lips turned up into a smile. . Not a kind one either.

"Eila West is it?"

"Yes," I replied. I was surprised by how steady my voice was.

"I changed your class to a more advanced one as you can see. I hear you've been doing quite well in your other classes and I wouldn't want to have to switch you around,"

"Yes," I agreed.

"Very well. Might you explain to us all why you are late today?" she said with a raised eyebrow. I kept a calm face as I answered.

"Monarch Vanessa wanted to talk to me,"

"May I ask what she wanted to talk to you about?"

"That's none of your business," I regretted the words the second they come out. Everybody gasps. Not Finn though. He looked amused. I turned away from him to met Evalyn's hateful gaze. I stared back without fear. She gave up and her gaze flicked away.

"Learn not to talk to me like that. I will get you back," she hissed.

"Let's start with something easy," Evalyn started.

"How about you all run me three miles. Your fifteen minutes starts now,"

Everybody raced to the tracks in the center of the room. I followed. People sped past me. They're fast. I stared ahead and pushed my legs to move faster. Soon enough I was in the front. I was glad I got practice running with Everest. Fifteen minutes passed and only a small bunch of us have finished the three miles. I was breathing hard and I had to lean against the wall to steady myself. I could feel myself getting slightly dizzy and lightheaded. Evalyn comes up to me and studied.

"I didn't expect you to be able to do that. You are better than the others. Let's see if we can break you," she whispered to me. I shuddered at the dark sound of her voice.

"We're pairing up for today's challenge. You guys will have to beat each other until one of you guys falls to the floor. I want Eila against Finn, everybody else pair up with anyone," she called out. I gulped. I had to fight Finn? I found him staring at me from across the room. I straightened. He just grinned and strolled over like it's no big deal. I had fought him before. But that was sword fighting. I didn't know how to punch. Or kick. Or any of that other stuff.

Evalyn directed us to a platform and I heard the others begin their fights as well. Finn stood in front of me, feet apart and arms defensively up.

"Don't go easy on her Finn. I'll know if you are. You're the best of us," Evalyn warned. Finn was breathing hard as he nodded. I stared up at him. I'm good at dodging. I should be able to do well enough.