Chapter Three

"I know," he said with a grin. I jumped back. Wasn't he supposed to be asleep?

"Yeah... Um... are you... feeling better?" I asked stupidly.

" feel fine. Just a few bruises here and there," he replied weakly. I laughed. I excused myself outside, so I could find some plants and herbs to heal him.

"Here," I said, coming back with some greenish brown plants called marth leaves. My mother who was a biologist lectured me on this kind of stuff, and I was glad that it came into use.

"Thanks," he said, spreading his arms out so I could spread the leaves over his wounds.

"Can I?" I asked, taking the tip of his shirt in my hand.

"Sure," he replied, before I peeled off his shirt, and helped treat the cuts on his chest. I laid the leaves where the lash marks were deep, and used a towel that I soaked in the lake nearby to scrub the blood off him. Once he was cleaned I helped him get his shirt back on, and wrapped him in a blanket, before helping him in bed. He leaned on me for support and slowly we made our way to the other side of the shack.

Once he was tucked in and asleep, I moved over to the door which I opened to let some fresh air in. I breathed in the calming winds, and let my hair free from the braid. I swept my hair over my shoulder and let it blow in the wind. I stared at the deep night sky, the darkness tinged with light coming from the few stars scattered across the sky. I stared at it and think to myself: In darkness comes hope. The last things my father said to me before leaving. Leaving for war. I leaned my head against the door frame, and stared into it, letting sadness take my body over. Sadness because I knew I would have to leave Everest. Sadness because my life was in danger. Sadness because my life would never be the same. Soon the sadness turned deeper, more personal, and I began to feel sad over things that I got over years ago.

Losing my parents. Losing my brother. Losing my house. Losing ability to go to school. Losing food. Losing... everything. Then... finding hope. Finding Everest. I found myself back in bed as I let the thought take over my mind. I lost everything. My family. My home. My education. My food. Everything was dark until that one day I found Everest. The one day I found hope in my darkness.

My dreams were like a memory. Like going back in time.

"Twelve dollars please," I said, as a teenager boy, a few years older than me sat a glass rose on the counter.

"Here, keep the change," the boy said, handing me $50. I stared at the money hungrily, before I came to my senses and put the money in the cash register.

"Keep it," he whispered to me. I looked at him wearily. What was I supposed to do? The manager said to always listen to the customer... but was this what the manager wanted? I decided to listen to the costumer, and slipped the money in my pocket.

"Thanks," I whispered back to him.

"Your welcome," he answered. There were a few moments of silence before he spoke again.

"What's your name?" he asked. I hesitated. I wasn't used to customer's talking to me.

"Eila... Eila West," I answered him.

"What a nice name. Mine is Everest Brooke," he told me. I stared at him a minute before nodding and saying

"What a... nice name."

he laughed, as if I said something funny. And maybe I did? I didn't know. I wasn't used to having someone talk to me. In fact I hadn't had a real conversation since my brother left me.

"Thank you, would you like to... meet me near the woods after your rotation?" he asked. I gave him a surprised look. I was definitely not used to people asking me to meet them. Especially near the woods. The woods were illegal! But... I was supposed to listen to him so...