Mr. Fox

(Image not mine)

LUCY'S POV

I felt horrible for Mr. Beaver, all of his friends were turned to stone by the Witch and there was nothing he could do to help them. There were all kinds of animals here, squirrels, dogs, badgers, mice, and even a pig. The moonlight shimmered on the stone surfaces.

"What happened here?" I heard Peter ask beside me.

"This is what becomes of those who cross the Witch." A new voice came from the shadows. Peter pushed Susan and me behind him and we all looked up to meet the eyes of a red fox.

Mr. Beaver stalked up to the rock the fox was perched on, "You take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!"

He chuckled and jumped down, "Relax, I'm one of the good guys."

"Yeah?" Mrs. Beaver had to hold him back, "Well, you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones."

"An unfortunate family resemblance. But we can argue breeding later," Mr. Fox turned to Peter, Susan, and I, "Right now we've got to move."

As if on cue multiple howls and barks echoed from the tunnel. I swiveled around in fear and felt Peter grasp onto my arm. "What do you have in mind?" He desperately asked the fox.

The small animal grinned. "Up the tree," He gestured his head to a large tree behind him, "I think you'll find someone you know up there too."

I looked up into the branches of the tree and noticed a figure perched on a large branch, waving to me. "Y/n!"

---

Perched with my siblings, Y/n, and the Beavers on the tree, I watched in fear as the wolves burst through the opening of the tunnel and began circling the fox.

"Greetings, gents." Mr. Fox casually said, "Lost something, have we?"

"Don't patronize me!" The lead wolf growled, his gravelly voice sending shivers down my spine. "I know where your allegiance lies. We're looking for some humans."

Mr. Fox laughed, "Humans? Here in Narnia?" I looked at Y/n who was gripping onto something hanging around her neck. Were those Mr. Tumnus's pipes? "That's a valuable bit of information, don't you think?"

A sudden growl followed by a loud yelp directed my attention back to the ground. A wolf was biting Mr. Fox around the neck. I gasped but Peter quickly covered my mouth.

"Your reward is your life," the lead wolf snarled, "It's not much, but still."

The fox whimpered.

"Where are the fugitives?" another growl was heard.

Mr. Fox looked up at us and for a moment I was afraid he was going to rat us out. But he sighed, "North. They ran north."

"Smell them out," the wolf commanded. The wolves dropped Mr. Fox and ran out of the clearing, barking and howling into the night.

---

We all were gathered around the campfire Peter started that was finally giving me some much-needed warmth. Sitting next to Y/n, I held my hands out the fire and listened to Mr. Fox's story.

"They were helping Tumnus." He gestured slightly to the stone animals, "The Witch got here before I did. Ow!"

"Are you all right?" I asked, worried that he got more hurt than he let on.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite." He laughed but it quickly turned into a yelp. "Ow!"

"Stop squirming!" Mrs. Beaver chided as she tried to tend to his wounds, "You're worse than Beaver on bath day."