A Dance at Midnight

(Image not mine)

Just in case you lost track, Peter is 23 now, Susan is 22, Edmund and Y/n are 20, and Lucy is 16.

(One Year Later)

EDMUND'S POV

Instead of eating dinner downstairs with the others as I would usually do, I had it taken up to my chambers so that I could continue working on the mountain of paperwork that covered my desk. Most of the documents were reports of small crimes committed in the last week, ranging from petty thefts to minor assaults. It was my job as "The Just King" to approve or decide on suitable punishments for these criminals, regardless of how late into the night I remained working.

Frustrated, I dropped the handful of papers I was holding onto my desk and pushed out my chair before walking to the balcony of my room. I had opened the doors earlier to let in the cool night air in hopes that it would help me concentrate, but it only made me itch to be out of this chair. As I looked out at the small courtyard below that overlooked the ocean I let my thoughts wander.

Recently I've noticed that memories that seem important appear fuzzy and dim in my head. I know that I had a life before Narnia, but I can't remember names of people I should know, nor the faces of people I saw daily. The only things I remember in full clarity are the few days before we discovered Narnia when I first met Y/n and her grandfather in that cold old house. It seemed like decades in the past when in reality it was only five years ago. Now it felt normal to wake up in a palace, to stroll the grounds hand in hand with Y/n, to plan wars, to wear a crown.

These days felt precious and fragile, like if I didn't hold onto it just right it may slip past me in the blink of an eye. No matter how much time I gave my poor brain, it still couldn't believe that Y/n eagerly reciprocated the feelings that had scared me for so long. She was far too good for me and I could see it every day. The way she governed our people with compassion and love as if they were family was intimidatingly beautiful. She never backed down from any problems that I, myself, had shied away from and continued forward with her head held high and the Narnians following behind her. I was convinced that without her as a Queen of Narnia, we would be in a heap of trouble. Even so, it wasn't like she was a saint, she definitely got into trouble from time to time. We all did.

Realizing I was daydreaming about her yet again, I pushed myself off of the balcony railing and started to turn my head back towards my desk when a flurry of red caught my eye. I peered through the darkness at the figure quickly winding through the courtyard towards the back entrance to the gardens. Their red cloak billowed around them, protecting their identity if the darkness didn't do so well enough. I knew that I should alert the guards in the hallway, but something about this person seemed odd, it was like they were trying to leave rather than break in. Grabbing my sword, I leaped off of the balcony and onto the stone flooring of the courtyard, keeping low so as not to alert the intruder. They showed no signs that they heard me and continued to scurry across the small lawn that led to a thick grove of trees.

The cloaked figure spun around quickly and I dove behind a bush, but not before I got a glimpse of the person under the red hood. What was Y/n doing sneaking around the palace grounds at this hour? I watched as she disappeared into the thick trees, her red cloak no longer visible. Once I knew she wouldn't be able to see me, I darted to the treeline and followed the path she took, relying on the faint footprints she left behind to guide me.

The prints suddenly stopped, like she just disappeared.

"Y/n?" I whispered worriedly.

No response. Even the trees didn't dare whisper. It was like everything was waiting for something to happen. I was about to call out to her again when a hand clamped over my mouth. I jumped and started to squirm in an attempt to escape.